Saturday, September 7, 2024

Houston

 One week in the books and our Sooners did a classic TCB last week. It was a typically opening week matchup where OU really only had something to lose. While the game went well, Farooq was injured and is expected to miss 6-8 weeks with “a foot”. That’s pretty rough to say the least as he was our most accomplished returning WR. But, it’s a position of depth and hopefully the other guys can step up. What concerned me more than anything in terms of game play was the O Line giving up 4 (don’t quote me on that number) sacks to Temple. This is not the 85 Bears or the 00 Ravens. I said going in that the offensive line was a big question mark and frankly the offense is fucked in conference play if that doesn’t improve. Here’s to hoping it’s just them getting to know each other, learning calls, assignments etc. the defense played well but we’ve seen this movie from venables defenses in the past. I’ll believe when a talented offense gets stopped consistently. All things considered it was a positive start and let’s look to keep it rolling and avoid any more injuries this week. 


Offense


It’s hard to argue with Arnold last week. While not the gaudiest of numbers they were very solid and a few drops made them look worse than they should’ve been. Furthermore he threw some absolute dimes while on the move into some tight windows. If he can get some consistency he is going to be really good. But, I’m going with an RB this week. I think we make it a point to try to pound Houston into submission. I like Gavin Sawchuck to have a big day and get in the end zone at least once. 


Defense


I have to go with Stutsman again. Is he our best defender? Is he the most consistent player on either side of the ball? Am I too lazy to put forth the effort to think of someone else? Yes, yes and emphatically yes.  


Score


Sooners are heavily favored in this one which is no surprise. But, I could see this being a little bit of a trap game. Houston, while not great, will have considerably more talent than Temple did. And I still have PTSD from that Ed Oliver game a few years back. Still, I like our Sooners today and though I see them letting Houston hang around a little early, I think we pull away in the second half. Sooners 44-17. 


Boomer to the Motherfuckin Sooner 

No comments:

Post a Comment