Saturday, September 19, 2026

New Mexico

 What a mess last week was. Our Sooners looked absolutely impotent on the offensive side of the ball. And the D softened just enough to let the sad Michigan offense get some points. It helps when Mateerrible throws an absolutely brutal pick in a tie game that led to an easy 6. This is year two of the Arbuckle Mateer experiment and so far it's been bad. The play calls generally range from unimaginative to completely head scratching. And aside from the first three or four games last year Mateer has looked, well, like ass. His accuracy is mostly terrible and he's caught the same virus that Jackson Arnold and Landry Jones had where the QB is absolutely unable to look anywhere beyond his first read. In short, he stinks. NM comes in to town and I know really nothing about them. But honestly, and I really hope I'm wrong, the season looks like a lost cause already. We have a murderers row of conference games and the fact that we couldn't win the non-conference "test" against a clearly bad Michigan team does not bode well. We basically can afford (maybe) to lose one more game. I don't see that happening. On to the optimism!

Offense

Mateer is officially in my doghouse and I refuse to pick him again. Granted I will at times pick receivers which he is directly involved with, but not him. Today I will go with Lloyd Avant. He's been very good when given an opportunity. Unfortunately, he's been the victim of Arbuckle's "if it ain't broke, let's go ahead and fuck around with it a bit". Maybe today he'll get a more extended opportunity. 

Defense

Taylor Wein is awfully hard not to pick. Dude is just a great player. But I really like David Stone today. He's been extremly solid up front and I think he gets to the QB today.

Score

I didn't bother looking at the spread but this feels like a game where we look good enough that everyone has some since of hope going into Athens next week, where we will get smashed. Sooners win this one in convincing fashion 27-7. 

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner

No comments:

Post a Comment