Wednesday, September 2, 2026

UTEP

 As the fall of 2026 is upon us, I am pleased to be starting our 17th season of "publishing" the Steamroller. Yes, it's bad, yes, it's hastily thrown together most weeks but it's a damned tradition. So here we go again. The Sooners probably exceeded expectations last season making the college football playoff for the first time under Brent Venables. It's taken him a few years, but he finally delivered on bringing that top defense to Norman that has been missing since probably 2003ish. Sadly, the offense was still a work in progress (the irony!) so what was probably a championship level defense wasn't enough. I'll take a good D, bad O combo any day over the opposite though, so it was a welcome change at least. The Sooners return a lot of really good player and have a healthy Mateer back at QB. Let's hope the two sides of the ball can get cooking at the same time and something exciting can happen this year. 

The injury problems this fall has been somewhat of a bummer. First the starting center went down early in camp with an MCL strain that is expected to keep him out until Michigan at the earliest, and possibly for 2 more weeks after that. Then, this week we learned that the backup has also injured his knee and will miss at least the UTEP game. So third string it is! It's a little alarming that the original "backup" C was actually a G/T that moved over and hadn't really played C much except for a few snaps in high school. This doesn't give me a ton of confidence in the lad, although hopefully he can hold his own against what should be an overmatched UTEP squad. Additionally Parker Livingston (that's right, only skill position players names are worth my time) is in the concussion protocol as of this week. He's not officially out, but definitely in doubt at this point. All this to say, let's get past UTEP without anyone else getting knocked out, and try to get healthy for that big road test in Michigan the following week.

Offense

While I love a healthy John Mateer and am very excited to see if he can put his late season decision making behind him, I'm going another direction for OPG. Mateer will obviously have to start making good decisions, hitting open guys, and throwing the ball away when nothing is there. Injured hand or not, those things should be (desperately need to be) improved upon. But against UTEP I hope he isn't playing after halftime. Not to overlook anyone, but if this team expects to be playing in the CFP again, this game should be a tune up. I'm expecting a ground and pound game and I'm going with Xavier Robinson as my OPG.

Defense

While no doubt this unit had some significant departures, they still return a great group of players. Taylor Wein really blew up last year and I'm expecting a huge season from him. Likewise David Stone is just an absolute monster up front. Our Cheetah returns and basically the entire secondary is back. There is a lot to like on this side of the ball. I do think UTEP will try to stay away from Wein and Stone on directional play calling and that's why I'm going with Jayden Jackson for my DPG. Dude is a beast and will get tested a lot this year as a result of the talent around him.

Score

Our Sooners are a relatively modest 41.5 favorites against a better-than-your-usual-cupcake UTEP team. I think the offense stays vanilla and I think the defense clamps down. Vegas knows, as usual, but I don't think the Sooners quite cover here but it's never in doubt really, Sooners roll 41-6. Let's fucking go.

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner

No comments:

Post a Comment