Saturday, September 19, 2026

New Mexico Lobos vs. Oklahoma Sooners

Happy Saturday, Sooner Nation. The Sooners are fresh off a disappointing 17-10 loss up in Ann Arbor. It was a game decided in the trenches for the Sooner offense. The offensive line was dominated and the Sooners lost the turnover battle 2-0. One turnover resulted in a red zone offense opportunity that the Wolverines capitalized on.

Is it the end of the world? No. But most disheartening was the play of the offensive line and the lackluster offensive game plan in general. 

OFFENSE

In week 1, the Sooners put John Mateer under center, they used a fullback in the eye formation and they often times used 2 or 3 tight end sets. Against Michigan, the offense regressed to their comfort zone. QB shotgun draws  with 0 tight ends or backs for extra blocking. They completely bungled an opportunity to try and get some points before halftime, albeit a long field goal attempt. 

On one hand, we should expect the Sooners to rebound against what is presumably an overmatched Lobos defense. I expect to see a crisply executed, competent game plan. On the other, it will be maddening to watch knowing that they could have done the same thing in Ann Arbor.

I think I'm over Ben Arbuckle and Bill Bedenbaugh. Arbuckle in particular demonstrates a complete lack of grasp of in game management. He seems to be unable to adjust on the fly and is hell bent on calling plays he enjoys running. He's completely predictable. Bedenbaugh hasn't been able to keep his guys healthy or establish any real depth for the entirety of the Brent Venables era. It's inexcusable.

Anyway, I don't see anyone really busting out today. I guess I'll say Mateer, simply because he needs to get some confidence before heading to Athens next week.

DEFENSE

These guys played competently enough to win the game last week, but they have some room to improve as well. If the offense is going to be hapless, these guys have to force some turnovers. They missed on two opportunities in Ann Arbor. 

I expect them to be steady and to set the tone today. However, I worry that they will start to get frustrated by the offense. 

Today I'll go Jayden Jackson for my DPOG. He seems to be lost in the mix of all the hype surrounding the players around him. He's a stud and I think he plays lights out today. 

THE SCORE

There is no way in hell the Sooners can put up more than 50, but they damn sure better put up 35. I'll take the Sooners 42, Lobos 10 

No comments:

Post a Comment