Friday, August 27, 2010

Utah State

I know this gameday post is a bit premature, but I'm going to be on vacation next week and will likely not have access to the internet. Normally, I would make this post on the Thursday or Friday before gameday, but this week will have to be an exception. Expect Mitch to post his pregame analysis later next week.

Utah State hails from the WAC and is likely scheduled as a last tune up before Florida State and the rest of the schedule. They return their two best offensive starters in runningback Robert Turbin and quarterback Diondre Borel, who happens to be the Aggies second leading rusher from last season behind Turbin. The fact that they have a little experience on offense leads me to believe they'll score some points on us. However, I don't seem them shutting us down when they line up on defense. I look for a big day from DeMarco and Lonnie. I think DeMarco will run it straight up their ass with our highly questioned offensive line looking to make a statement. In turn this should soften up their defense a little in the secondary so Lonnie can go to work. Don't be surprised to see something big thrown in the direction of Kenny Stills early, I suspect the coaches will want to get him rolling early in the season.

Defensively, I think we'll give up some points maybe even some yardage, but we'll buckle down when we need to and even though I'd love to pitch a shutout and straight dominate, I think we'll settle for a solid performance with a win. Even though Turbin is a nice player, nobody comes in our house and runs it up our ass. That said, I'm looking to buy stock in whoever supplies Utah State with ice. The real test will be how our secondary steps up when they inevitably start going for broke and emptying their playbook on us to try to win the biggest game they'll play all season. This is where I think they'll hit a few plays. The combo of inexperience in the secondary with these assholes playing with nothing to lose (see: fake punts, and other general playground horseshit) will probably burn us a couple of times. The good news is, aside from blitzing there isn't much they can do defensively to "pull out the stops". All of that leads me to this week's predictions.

Offensive player of the game:  Demarco Murray seems like the guy on the offense to me who is going to have a big day. I think he'll make some nice catches out of the backfield and his legs will be fresh to break a couple of long ones. I like him for two touchdowns and over 200 all purpose yards.

Defensive player of the game: Not exactly venturing out on a limb when I pick this year's MF'er Quinton Carter to stand out. I think he'll make their passing game pay more than once whether it's a pick or a permanently disabled Utah State receiver, or both. Not too mention, I think he comes up and makes some nice plays against the run.

Final Score: Utah State will no doubt be fired up and playing to win it all in this one, however we've only dropped two home games in Stoops' tenure and I don't look for this to be three. I like a final score in favor of OU 41-20.

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment