Saturday, September 9, 2017

Oklahoma Sooners versus Ohio State Buckeyes

In victory last week the Sooners managed to not only avoid calamity, as the Longhorns of Texas and Bears of Baylor could not, they looked damn good in what was a very businesslike and near flawless ass whoop of UTEP.

Regrettably, the UTEP Miners are not on the slate this week. It's The Ohio State Buckeyes and revenge is on the minds of the Sooners.

I am cautiously optimistic about the Sooners chances but I think it's certainly fair that the Sooners are more than touchdown underdogs (as of press time).

OFFENSE

The most interesting factoid I read this week was that more Sooners caught balls against UTEP (14) than did across all games last year. So.. I don't know if that means there is more depth or if it's a natural evolution of a Lincoln Riley/Baker Mayfield offense. The concept of spreading the ball around seems positive to me but it's more likely just scrubs getting to play more than usual in a route.

The second most interesting thing I noticed was the Sooners O-Line seemed to do a lot of pulling of the guards. I asked at the time if anyone could remember seeing us do that because I couldn't. Mark Schlegel, good dude and loyal reader, agreed. My father-in-law waived me away and said we do it all the time. It looked great.

I think the key here this week is in the five headed run game (Since they remembered Dimitri Flowers is also very good) being at least moderately effective. No matter the score and win or lose the Sooners will have balance in the play calling. They will run the ball a lot. If you do nothing else but check the box score tomorrow for yards per carry you'll be able to tell if the Sooners won or not. If it's below 2.5 yards per carry they lost.

In that vein I am going to go a little off script here and take Abdul Adams for my Offensive Player of the Game. It's foolish to take someone besides Mayfield but what's the fun in that? I also really want to pick Dimitri Flowers because of his versatility and the apparent willingness to, Gasp!, take advantage of it.

Other things I really liked last week before we move on. Abdul Adams, the liberal sprinkling of Dimitri Flowers, Mark Andrews now a wide receiver in a tight ends body. Lincoln Riley sitting Mayfield the whole second half.

DEFENSE

When I watched OSU get a little scare from Indiana last week I came away unimpressed with JT Barrett's passing ability. On the flip side, OSU continues to churn out high quality running backs.

In watching the new look Sooner D it appears the secondary should be a strength and the linebackers have some work to do.

It was Emmanuel Beal who looked a little lost to me. Kenneth Murray disappeared a little but give him a pass for it being his first collegiate game. I'm picking knits because overall the D was PlayStation level after the first UTEP drive.

The point is the defensive line and the linebackers (dba the 4-3) need to play huge for the Sooners to have a shot. The OSU run game cannot be allowed to turn Barrett into even a moderately effective passer. They also can't let short plays turn into long gains.

OSU just overpowered this group last year. We will learn a ton about them today. For my Defensive Player of the Game I'll go with Jordan Thomas. I like his game and desperately hope he gets one, maybe two picks.

THE GAME

I am clinging to the belief that there is greater depth across the board for the Sooners to stay fresh enough to keep up with the strength of the Buckeyes. If the Sooners can run the ball, control the clock and, in a perfect world, jump out to an early lead, JT Barrett might be pressed just enough to do something dumb.

The Sooner D doesn't have to be perfect but they need to keep the running game in check and get off the field on third down.

Barring an absolute whipping, nobody is going to get too bent out of shape with a loss. Or they shouldn't. That's the benefit of being a new coach. The Sooners can do this though. A smart, confident, total team concept can get this done.

Sooners 28, Buckeyes 21

Boomer to the motherfuckin Sooner

No comments:

Post a Comment