Sunday, December 31, 2017

Georgia

Holy smokes, this is a big one. If you would have talked to me a few weeks ago, specifically right after the Big 12 championship, I would have been pretty confident for this one. But as time has passed, my confidence level has gone down notably and Georgia increasingly looks like a really tough draw. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to play them over Clemson or Alabama, but their defense is really, really good. Historically, it seems (to me anyway) that when a high powered offense meets a dominant defense, the defense typically has the edge. I certainly hope that doesn't hold true tomorrow afternoon.

Georgia relies on defense and ball control offense. This certainly matches up well for them as it has a two-fold effect of stopping the OU offense and keeping them off of the field with a very strong running attack. What they don't necessarily excel at is the passing game. This is probably a best case scenario for the leaky OU secondary. With any luck, Mike Stoops will have a solid plan to contain the Bulldog backfield. Otherwise, it could be a long afternoon for the Sooners.

Offense

Much hand wringing and angst has been happening over Mayfield and his illness. Rightfully so, as he goes so do the Sooners playoff hopes. Basically, it's the same story as it has been all year, Mayfield will need to carry the team in this one. With that in mind, it seems obvious he should be player of the game pick. True to form however, I am going to outsmart myself yet again with a "savvy" pick. It goes without saying that everyone is going to have to play lights out for OU to have a shot. I'm going to say Mark Andrews is the key to them winning. I think he has to have a big game softening up the secondary and opening up the run game with some big plays underneath.

Defense

If OU has a chance, it will be because the stop the run and make the Georgia freshman QB beat them. The D Line will have be stout and the LB's will be the key to them winning this one. I like Emmanuel  Beal to have a big game bottling up the Georgia Chubby. I think he makes a shitload of tackles and forces at least one turnover in a key performance.

Score

I'm shitting bricks on this one. OU has won all year by scoring early and often. I just don't see that happening against a stout Georgia defense. For the first time all year, the Sooners will need long methodical drives and they will have to play a ball control offense where points are at a premium. Though the Sooner D has been pretty terrible all season, I think Georgia's offensive style is a decent matchup for them. I think Mayfield does enough, and the defense does too in a butt clincher. OU 24, Georgia 20. Let's beat these guys.

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner

No comments:

Post a Comment