Tuesday, August 28, 2012

2012 Season Preview

Well, this is just about wrapping up our preseason stuff. Which is only a slightly poorer grade of horseshit than our regular season stuff. We've both covered the offseason, the offense, and the defense. So now it's time to make a few predictions and take a look at the year ahead.

The schedule starts off fairly light. UTEP and Florida A&M lead off the season. Those both appear to be tune-ups and opportunities to puff our chests out a bit. No one really expects either of those to be a game. However, I think anything less than complete annihilation of the two schools will leave the collective assholes of Sooner nation so tight you couldn't pull a needle out of them with a tractor.

Next up is Kansas State as the meat between bye-week sandwich-bread. I'm not upset about playing a pretty strong KState team at home. I think that bodes well for the Sooners, and the two weeks off couldn't be better as we should be rested for the OU/texas game on October 13. UT looks really solid on D this year, but have yet find a QB. They may be one dementional with a strong running attack, which we usually thrive against those types of offenses. In short, me rikey.

KU follows for what amounts to a scrimmage and/or tune-up before Notre Dame comes to town. The Irish bring all the hoopla and hype the average person associates with the storied program, however they also bring very little to back that up in recent years. That said, they're always talented and they may be ranked fairly high when we play them. That plus the fact that historically we've sucked against them, isn't great. I'm certainly glad it's at home.

Conference play from there on out is pretty tough. At a better than normal Iowa State game could smell like letdown. At WVU will be really a tough game, probably the hardest we'll play all season. This could be a top-10 showdown with the conference title on the line. I need to poop.

Finally, we close the home schedule out with OSU who is starting a freshman at QB. I hope we have a shitload of revenge on our minds after getting thrashed by them last season. Then we go to TCU to finish things out. It's going to be a tough road, and with all of the question marks that Keith and I spoke about previously, we've got to have a lot of things come together to run the table. Here's hoping they do.

Offensive player of the year.

Dom Whaley. End of discussion.

Defensive player of the year.

Tony Jefferson. I think Mikey has him playing like an animal, and he thrives at his "true" position.

I'm not going to lie, I'm pumped but nervous for this season. I feel as though my expectations are lower than they normally are. Hopefully the team is feeling as down-to-earth as I am about the season and it motivates them to stay focused. I can't predict a season record, but I'll certainly be making a pick each week.

Back soon with the MF and Old Steady "piece"

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner

No comments:

Post a Comment