Saturday, October 20, 2018

TCU

Over the years the Sooners have lost to texas far more than I would like (read: more than once), but of all of the losses that one had the sweetest after taste, the Mike Stoops firing. I (halfway) joked to Mitch a few weeks ago that my phone had wear spots on the screen over the letters I use to type Fire Mike Stoops, now that dream has become a reality. I don't know how he maintained employment for this long, and as of almost two weeks ago, I no longer care. I do not think that the defense will magically be dominant now, but I will be happy if they do basic things like tackle and adjust to what offenses are doing during the game.

Now on to more pressing business. TCU started out this season ranked in the top 25 (I'm 60% sure of that, and 100% sure I don't really care either way) and played themselves impressively far out of it. Some bad losses and generally poor play is the fast track to doing that. However, as any Sooner fan knows, Gary Patterson has always been a thorn in the side of OU. I do carry some optimism though because most of the time they've beaten or at least made a close game of it, it's been 59-58 type of affair. Hopefully, those days are coming to a close (no pressure Ruffin McNeil, Sooner nation only demands a miracle).

Offense

That texas game was the most frustrating affair on offense of the season by a good stretch. Until that late barrage of points at the end, the vaunted Lincoln Riley's were largely held in check. Credit Tom Herman, he's done that repeatedly so far. But, in spite of the good plan by texas, Kyler Murray still had a tremendous game and I think he does it again today against TCU. It's a pretty thick limb I'm on going with the Heisman candidate for OPG. That's the kind of insight one comes to the Steamroller for.


Defense

While watching the game with Mitch and our friend Mark a couple of weeks ago, Mitch threw the term Gas Rag on Parnell Motley. It's been a couple of seasons since that award (?) has been used. But I think he's right, the Matt McCoy Memorial Gas Rag award goes to Parnell Motley. What a fall from grace after the Ohio State game last year where some other friends of ours were saying he should be MFer.... um no. Enough rambling diatribe on the shortcomings of Parnell Motley. I'm going with Amani Bledsoe today, Bledsoe is receiving his first official kiss of death from me.

Score

This is the biggest crapshoot of the season, I have no idea what to expect on the defensive side of the ball. I'm hopeful, but doubtful (naturally). Still, I think the Sooners keep their eye on the prize and with two weeks to prepare the Sooners do enough today to win it 44-31.


Boomer to the Motherfuckin Sooner

No comments:

Post a Comment