Saturday, October 6, 2018

texas

This is a big one today. No matter the stakes as they pertain to the national picture, this game gets me more fired up than any non-playoff game. I'm guessing that's true for most of Sooner nation. For the first time in a while (a more definite time frame would require 3 seconds of effort) both teams are ranked in the top 20. After stumbling to a respectable Maryland team, texas has rattled off nothing but wins. But as I was discussing this with my friends Mark and Mitchy, neither of them were too impressed with the opponents. "Who the fuck is T C U?" was asked incredulously. Nonetheless, I'm predictably nervous in this one.

texas always plays OU tough and last season they were about the only defense to really contain Riley's high-flying offense. Expect more of the same today. The O/U is 60.5, I think given the competitiveness of this game I would take the under there. Yes, that's probably giving undue credit to the Mike Stoops powder puffs, but I'm optimistic they'll do something resembling a defense. Either way, I'm hoping the OU can do enough to get out of this game with a win.


Offense

This is Kyler Murray's first and, likely, only Red River game. Everything I've read about him (read: very little) indicates he won't be the least bit intimidated. Up to now he's basically duplicated Mayfield's Heisman winning season from last year; the numbers are pretty uncanny. But, I think the atmosphere gets to him some and he has, by his own standards, an off day today. Even though I still like him to make several improv plays that delights OU and infuriates the texas faithful. That rambling diatribe somehow leads me to my pick, Trey Sermon. I think this game is more of a slugfest, and even though it's a timeshare backfield, I still like Sermon to do most of the heavy lifting in this one.

Defense

While the OU defense has been embarrassingly soft this year, particularly up front, the linebackers have done a pretty respectable job. Both Kenneth Murray and Curtis Bolton have been tackling machines. I think texas hits a few big plays on the secondary, but I think when it comes to crunch time that the LB's step up, and I like Curtis Bolton as my dpg today.

Score

Not to go all Lee Corso on you (I don't know how to type slurring), but I think this one is closer than the experts think. OU is giving 7.5 and I already mentioned that I would take the under. In spite of the Sooners juggernaut offense, I think they struggle to score against a texas team with plenty to prove. While I struggle to stay conscious during this one due to 80% of my blood flow diverted to my O-ring, OU wins a squeaker 19-17.

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner

No comments:

Post a Comment