Wednesday, December 30, 2020

The Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic - Oklahoma Sooners vs. Florida Gators

Goodyear Cotton Bowl? More like Badyear Coughing Bowl because of Covid, amirite? Enough jokes. We have a quality matchup of blueblood programs today in Dallas. The Sooners, as has become their stock in trade, have shrugged off inexplicable in-season losses and back doored their way into a New Years Day Six Bowl. The Gators are looking to re-establish their place amongst college football's elite. The Sooners can make a major statement with their defense, effectively putting the college football world on notice for next year. The Gators can make a statement by, well, beating the Sooners. Each team has much to prove. 

OFFENSE

I don't know shit about Florida football and I have zero interest in learning more than I have to. Here's what I do know. In general, the SEC takes pride in its big, fast, physical defenses. From what little I know of Dan Mullen, he seems to fit that mold. He kind of reminds me of Tom Herman for some reason. Anyway, I'm spinning this yarn to say I would think the Gators would like to bully and push around Spencer Rattler and his wide receivers. The Sooners offense, with the notable exception of Rhamondre Stevenson, seem to be finesse type players.

For instance, you won't see Rattler lowering his shoulder on his way out of bounds and then hopping up and woofing like Baker Damn Mayfield would. But I can damn sure see Florida woofing and trying to bully Rattler. They'd probably be happy with an early late hit on SR.

So can the Sooners take the punch, keep their poise and deliver some haymakers of their own? Yes of course through my crimson colored glasses I can see the way.  

Quick aside: Do we think Rhamondre was okay physically against Iowa State? I mean, some runs he seemed very slow in attacking the line. Was he trying to be Le'Veon Bell or was he unable to accelerate? it's important because he's key. He did have almost 100 yards and averaged 5.4 per so I'm inclined to think he's ok. 

Beyond, Rhamondre, it is crucial for the O-Line to have their best game of the year. If Spencer has time to throw it's game over. You know he can make All The Throws and if he meets with some early success it's swagger time. I'm taking SR for my OPOG. 

DEFENSE

It is reported that Florida is very heavily tilted towards the passing game. Well, whoopty friggin do is what any self-respecting defense in the Big 12 should say. But the Sooners are only becoming self respecting so they best not slip. 

I feel comfortable that they will have a good game plan. I see nothing that would indicate that they won't play hard. They are who they are at this point. 

Is Kyle Trask the best qb this defense will see all year? Is he better than Sam Ehlinger or Brock Purdy? The answer to both would seem to be yes. (Editors note: He's a Heisman finalist, stupid) That said, can the Sooners force him to make some mistakes and how will they do that without Trey Brown?

It is helpful that the Gators are without Trask's favorite receiver. That will somewhat offset the loss of Brown. The Sooners need to make Trask uncomfortable and hopefully he can't run. His career rushing average of .4 ypc would indicate he is not much of a dual threat. 

That seems like a big advantage. For my DPOG I'm going Perrion Winfrey. He's missed on a lot of backfield tackles lately but has been absolutely hounding QB's. I feel like he gets them today and generally makes life miserable for Trask.

THE SCORE

I think this will be another grinder. Good news is the Sooners are accustomed to it. I'm taking the Sooners here in their home away from home 35-28.

Boomer to the motherfuckin Sooner.  

No comments:

Post a Comment