Saturday, September 11, 2021

Western Carolina

 Last week might have broken a record. The oft-mentioned record for most precipitous fall of my expectations, hopes and dreams of a solid Sooners team on both sides of the ball. It was at a nadir about half way through the first quarter. Then the second quarter happened and by half time my pucker factor was nearly zero. And yet, that was only the beginning. The defense did very OU things all the way through the game, namely maintaining their unprecedented ability to never get off of the fucking field with a key stop. But, the particularly maddening part is that the offense was unable to punch it in the end zone with several second quarter opportunities. Then, put up a staggeringly shitty performance in the second half. It turns out that an inability to score coupled with an inability to stop the other team is a 3 michelin star recipe for shitting the bed and blowing a lead, no matter how comfortable it might've seemed. 

Suffice to say, I was disgusted with the debacle we saw last week. And though I had certainly been drinking the proverbial kool-aid that this might be the Sooners year to compete for a national title, I've since spit it out and started chugging my patented doomsday grog. They have, presumably, one week to get their shit sorted on defense, stop throwing ridiculously bad interceptions, and get the ball in the end zone. The season isn't lost by any stretch, but it will be in short order if dramatic improvements aren't made on both sides of the ball. 

Who is Western Carolina you ask? I surmise they are in North, or possibly even South Carolina. If I had to guess, on the western aspect of the appropriate state. 

Offense

Spencer Rattler did not look all that great last week. The talent was never in question, and I was happy to see him tuck the ball and get some yardage with his legs last week. But these horrid interceptions that plagued him early last year will cost this team big games unless they are corrected. Today seems like a good opportunity to do that. While Kennedy Brooks was a beast last week, and I expect more of the same today, I'm going to go with Rattler for my OPG today. I think he rights the ship and cleans up the mistakes.

Defense

My god that was painful to watch. I appreciate the turnovers, those were huge and in the end, the reason the Sooners won. But it would be nice be able to generate pressure without blitzing, and even nicer to not leave WRs completely uncovered on obvious passing downs. I'm not completely demoralized by this defense yet, but I'm damn close. I really liked what I saw out of Perrion Winfrey at the end of last year. He's a big man and I like him to get a couple of sacks today.

Score

OU is favored by 50.5 today! After last week, I can't imagine doing enough of a 180 to cover that monster spread. But, I still think it's a drubbing. I'll take OU today 52-10. Let's get the bus back on the express route. 

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment