Saturday, November 17, 2012

Oklahoma vs. West Virginny

Dana Holgerson looks like the guy who rings my doorbell once a year asking for ten bucks to paint my house number on my curb. He's not a number stenciler though. He's the coach of the most disappointing team in all of football this year. These Mountaineers are not who we thought they were. This game is not for the Big 12 title after all.

The reason is simple.

The weekend of OU-Texas, I thought I watched the worst defense in the country play that morning (Texas). Then I saw the worst defense in the country play that afternoon (West Virginia). The Sooners should be licking their chops for this one.

OFFENSE

West Virginia cant't stop a wet fart which is good because nothing makes me more nervous than Landry playing in a hostile environment. It's going to be difficult for him to beat himself. But, if anyone can do it, it's him.

You could really pick anyone for today's OPOG. It's not looking through crimson-colored glasses to think that the Sooners could have three 100-yard receivers today. Landry will throw for 400 without breaking a sweat.

I think the key though is the run game. Stopping it is West Virginia's "strength" if such a thing exists on a squad that ranks 117th out of 120 teams. How much success can the Sooners have running? If it isn't working, how quickly will they abandon it?

Ever the optimist, I think the Sooners do have success and I think DD Williams gets back on track today. The last few weeks have been the Brennan Clay show. I don't care who carries the load but my gut says to pick DD. I think the Sooners really commit to running as well, if for no other reason than to keep Geno Smith off the field.

DEFENSE

The Sooners got a bit exposed last week. The good news is the D held Baylor to their fewest yards of the season. The bad news: They gave up a metric ton of rushing yards.

Dana Holgerson is the type of guy who will key in on these weaknesses and pick them like a scab if you let him. OU's Kryptonite on D is the run game. WVU does not have much of a rushing attack but will they be effective enough to open up their vaunted passing game?

At the end of the day this is going to be strength versus strength. The strength of the OU D is pass defense. The strength of WVU's offense is its passing attack. I'm cautiously optimistic about the Sooners chances. I'm optimistic because of Frank Shannon. He's my darkhorse for DPOG. A pass heavy offense means less Tommy Wort. Frank needs to be as active as he's been all season. I see no reason for him not to be.

While we're here, the Sooners have to tackle today. I'm looking at Javon Harris. If Landry leaves 150 passing yards on the field every week, Javon leaves about 6 tackles. He and Gabe Lynn cannot be doing their spark and gasoline routine today.

THE SCORE

Today the best defense is going to have to be our offense. Long, sustained drives with scores. Limited appearances by Lonnie. There is absolutely no excuse for not scoring 50. The Sooner D has to deny any rushing attack so it can focus on limiting the passing attack.

The state of Oklahoma doesn't get to look down its nose at many other states. West Virginia is one of them.

I'm very bullish on our Sooners today. Way more than I was a few months ago. No surprise, I like the Sooners big.

Oklahoma 56 West Virginia 28

Boomer to the motherfuckin' Sooner!

No comments:

Post a Comment