Saturday, November 17, 2012

West Virginia

Well friends, this game isn't exactly what it looked to be before the games were played. I don't think I'm alone in saying that I thought this might be a game with two top 5 teams playing with a trip to the national title at stake. Instead, WVU after a hot start has plummeted out of the rankings thanks to a defense that appears to be looking for flags to pull off of opponents waist bands. Our guys on the other hand are a solid team, but not exactly the national title contender we thought they might be before the season (see: OU v Kansas State/Notre Dame et al). Nevertheless this is a big game in the conference, and our first trip to Morgantown as a conference opponent. I'm pretty excited to see it as they have a good atmosphere, and it will no doubt be crazy there tonight. The combo of night game + big conference opponent + the fact that WVU is one of the few universities that sells beer at their games = apeshit crowd. This will be a factor.

In spite of all of that WVU has been the cure for what ails any offense so far. The Big 12 offensive player of the week has come at the expense of the WVU defense for a few weeks in a row now. Let's hope that trend continues today in a Sooner offensive explosion.

Offense

As I said, this looks as if someone will be putting up big numbers today. It's probably a good sign that this is hard to pick. I'm going with a WR today and I'm going with Justin Brown. He's really turned into a damn good target and one that Lonnie looks to often. I think he gets behind the defense a couple of times today and gets in the endzone at least once. I like him for 100+ yards and a TD.

Defense

This is once again a crap shoot. As poor as the WVU defense is, their offense is solid. Dana Holgerson coached offenses have torched us pretty regularly in years past. Hopefully Mikey will do a better job getting us ready than Venables ever did. They pass a ton, so I'm looking to the secondary to do something special tonight. That said, I'm going with the same guy two weeks in a row, Aaron Colvin. I think they'll come after him a little and I think he'll respond.

Score

This looks like it's going to be a shootout of sorts. I hope that we'll be able to score regularly and more importantly I hope that we'll be able to get some stops and at least slow them down enough that we can get out of their with a win. Though national and conference titles are no longer on the table for us, this one still means plenty in our continuing to cling to the outside hope of getting a BCS bid. I like the Sooners today 54-38. Let's get these bitches.

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner

No comments:

Post a Comment