Saturday, October 17, 2015

Kansas State (brace yourself, this isn't a feel good "piece")

Call me a bad fan, call me fairweather, call me doughy ginger, I don't give a shit what you call me. I'm tired of this same routine every season. I'm officially calling for Stoops ouster. It's the same story every year, the same lines about competing for conference championships, the historical win/loss record, hell he's the winningest coach in school history. But there is no accountability, no one questioning his status. We haven't been a realistic national title contender since 2009. If you follow recruiting, and I really don't to be fair, it seems like the guys we sign have it narrowed down to Kentucky, Central Florida and OU, not  even on the big programs radar. I'm tired of it. OU isn't in the business of competing for championships with the word "conference" in front of it. For the record, it's now been more years since our most recent national title, than it was before Stoops delivered us to the promised land in 2000.

It's maddening, and I'm sure a plethora of assistants will be fired after this season, if not sooner. There has been a very consistent lack of fundamentals for years now. If this is just anecdotal bullshit in your eyes, I submit this quote from Bob Stoops after embarrassing themselves in the Cotton Bowl last week: "You can put it all on me, but I don't play." What kind of coach says that, out loud, to the media? That is just absurd, and really demonstrates his line of thinking and attitude toward the team.

The Sooners travel up to Manhattan, KS this weekend to take on Bill Snyder's Wildcats. Speaking of coaching, that is someone who might do more with less than anyone else. I'm not wishing for KState's program, but I'd be delighted to have a coach who got the most out of his players like Snyder does. KState is fresh off a near upset of Top 5 TCU. We all know what the Sooners are coming off of. I don't expect the offensive line issues to be solved this week, so I expect another dose of Baker Mayfield running for his life from the moment the ball is snapped. Hopefully, he can revert to getting out of the pocket more as opposed to last week when he seemed content to let it collapse on him. Hell, maybe he's just tired of running. This has the makings of another Sooner loss. Going on the road and playing a disciplined, fundamentally sound team, and bringing neither of those traits with them. Should be interesting.

Offense

I went with Baker Mayfield last week and that certainly didn't pan out. He did as well as could be expected I guess, given the "protection" he had. My hope is that the Sooners try to slow down the 7 yard dashes of the Wildcat front by throwing a few screens and maybe some well timed draw plays. With that in mind, I am going with Joe Mixon. No, he never plays. No, there isn't a good reason for this that I know of. But, if I'm going to unleash my kiss of death on anyone, I prefer someone who will be on the bench most of the game.

Defense

This feels a bit like last season where I just threw darts at the defensive roster. No one really played well last week, and that crap they called "tackling" was just reheated post-mexican food shit. I'm not sure who informed everyone on the defense that they were Ronnie Lott and wrapping up was ancillary in light of their menacing hitting prowess, but they were full of shit. Again, fundamentals, basic pee-wee league type shit that has clearly not been taught. Anyway, with the fact that I'm obligated to pick someone, I will pick Jordan Evans. Because...might as well.

Score

OU probably will end up losing this game for the plethora of reasons I mentioned above. However, we are the ranked team, and we do only have one loss (however awful it might be). We can occasionally do some things well. I think the Sooners will do enough of them to sneak out of the Little Apple with a W. Sooners take it in an ass-clencher, 31-30.

Apologies for the overriding negative vibe in this post. It's telling that I still feel this way, writing this with a week to chill. It's been building for a few season, and I've just had enough. Still, I root on and hope for the best.

Boomer to the Motherfuckin Sooner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment