Friday, October 2, 2015

Oklahoma Sooners vs. West Virginia Mountaineers

If you were a season ticket holder for Good Ol Alma Mater how much would you donate if your non-conference home slate consisted of the following: Georgia Southern, Liberty and Maryland? How confident would you be after hammering these wet bags of turd and heading out on the road for the first time all season against a capable conference foe?

I'll tell you I wouldn't blown my nose with my tickets for those scrimmages and I'd be puckered up like a snare drum if I was West Virginia. Honestly, I didn't know Liberty had a football team. So the Mountaineers have a top 15 offense and defense. Cue the slowest, most sarcastic slow clap I can muster. 

I'm not, by any stretch, implying the Sooners have nothing to fear here. They know how big this one is. They've asked the fans to candy stripe the stadium and they're pulling out the alternate uniforms because they A) need to protect the house (something that didn't happen last year) so they can B) start/stay in the Big 12 championship chase and C) make a strong early season impression on voters/computer against a currently ranked, undefeated team. The Sooner faithful should be in full throat in spite of yet another 11am kickoff.

OFFENSE

This is the key to the whole ballgame. It's going to become a broken record if it isn't already but the Sooner offense is truly the best defense. If the Sooners can get rolling early and pop a defense that's been untested it may provide enough cushion to win the day.

This is true. Georgia Southern got routed by West Virginny 44-0 and attempted 13 passes. This is the best offense they've faced. If the Sooners game plan isn't to hit the Mountaineer defense early, keep them on the field and wear them down then I know nothing. I expect a lot of hands on hips from the Mountaineers. 

The other key for the Sooners is to hang on to the ball. They should have buried Tulsa two weeks ago but turnovers cost them about 31 points. West Virginia is opportunistic and experienced. If the Mountaineers get some breaks off turnovers and capitalize then all bets are off. If the Sooners shove it down their throat and bring a gun to a gun fight they'll win. It's such a simple game really.

The scary thing is the Sooners haven't fired on all cylinders yet. They've gotten off to slow starts, the run game has struggled at times and they've had fumble-itis. They will hit their stride this week. They have 9 receivers for Baker Mayfield to choose from. They have a dynamic backfield (although I can't fathom why David Brooks got so many early carries over Joe Mixon against Tulsa).  I really want to pick Semarje Perine for my OPOG but I can't do it. I'm going Baker Mayfield. He's on fire. His ability to keep plays alive and distribute the ball is awesome. What he did against Tulsa was video game stuff. I'll keep the Semarje card in my back pocket and take ol' Baker. Not sure if he can hit 86% completion for 6 million yards again but I'll be thrilled with less gaudy numbers and the same dearth of INT's.

DEFENSE

I'm a little nervous when the absence of Jordan Thomas is the excuse for giving up ∞ yards to Tulsa. It's also mildly jarring to read that Devante Bond and Eric MF Striker aren't going to be on the field much together going forward. I get it, but how frustrating is it to get picked apart because there is zero pressure from up front? Why not take a couple chances with your best players on the field together? You get scored on anyway. You have to disrupt the rhythm of either the QB or the receivers. I like Striker and Bonds versus a QB than Jordan Thomas et al against everyone else. Especially at home.

Someday, some defensive coordinator in the Big 12 is going to quit trying the same thing over and over and will change things up drastically, shut down some big time offenses and become a well-paid head coach in the SEC. He'll probably come from TCU.

Anyway, I'm skeered of the Mountaineer offense and particularly Wendell Smallwood at running back. My worst nightmare is a 3rd and medium scenario and this guy just shoving it down our throats.

For DPOG I'm making a pick based on sheer force of will. I desperately want someone on the D-Line to get to the quarterback if the Sooners are going to stubbornly refuse to send someone from the edge.

::closes eyes, points fingers at depth chart::

I'm going Charles "Chaz" Walker because I like his name. Note: I am not in defensive indifference mode yet. That won't happen until after Texas Tech I hope. I just want someone on the D-Line to step up and I have no idea who that will be at this point.

THE SCORE

If the Sooners can pick up where they've been leaving off and hang on to the ball we're golden. If the defense can hold the Mountaineers even one touchdown below their season average the Sooners win.

I think the D will do a little better than that and the Mountaineer D just isn't ready for this test yet.

Sooners 49, West Virginny 35

Boomer to the Motherfuckin Sooner


No comments:

Post a Comment