Saturday, September 17, 2016

The Ohio State

Greetings and welcome to the biggest non-conference home game since Notre Dame in 2012. Hopefully this one goes a little better, though I am not optimistic. On that note IT'S FOOTBALL TIME IN OKLAHOMA!

My lack of optimism owes to the fact that last week was every bit the schlock fest I billed it to be in this very column. Sure, the Sooners, "Took Care of Business". But it was against a team so god-awful that we still have no idea who on this Sooners team (particularly defense) can and cannot play big boy football. B.D. Mayfield did distribute the ball to a number of receivers. That needed to happen. Former walk-on Nick Basquine showed that he might be able to help a little bit. I was impressed by the motor of Neville Gallimore (GREAT football name) but he was playing because Matt Dimon did something dumb so who knows if he'll get back on the field or not. Beyond that, are we remotely prepared to hang with Ohio State on the national stage, in primetime? If you say yes with confidence, you're high.

OFFENSE

There is a lot of pressure on the O-Line here. Against Houston, they made true freshman Ed Oliver look like an All Pro. Last week they didn't get challenged. The Sooners are in deep doodoo if B.D. Mayfield is scrambling around to throw the ball away and/or Samaje Perine can't get going. Perine is averaging 45 yards per game thus far. That's one drive for him in any game the last two seasons. I don't think his skills are diminishing either. I'm telling you the O-Line needs to get their shit together double time.

For my OPOG I'm going Baker Damn Mayfield. An easy pick, yes. But in big games you need your best player to be at their best. The offense lives and dies by him. Please live. Please.


DEFENSE

Our secondary is turds. It is inconceivable that through two games against average, at best, passers that the secondary has only one pass breakup and no interceptions. One pass breakup. I'm not convinced J.T. Barrett is a great passer either but I'm also not convinced we can keep him from looking like Drew Brees. That stat is alarming. The Sooners have five pass breakups total, one from the secondary. No INT's. They are not "getting their hands on a lot of balls" as Bobby Stoops likes to say. And I'm not buying any of this vanilla defense up until now nonsense either. We're neither smart enough nor good enough for such tactics.

Never mind the pass can we stop the run? So help me if we start getting gashed up the middle. J.T. Barrett can run and the Buckeyes have their own two headed monster in the backfield in Mike Weber and Curtis Samuel.

What I'm saying here is the Sooners have to play perfect on this side of the ball. They have to be disciplined both before and after the whistle. They can't be getting lost in the secondary. They need to create turnovers. So simple and yet, to this point, unattainable.

This is wishful thinking but I'm going with Ogbonnia Okoronkwo for player of the game. I hope he has a coming out party and plays, "In a great way".

THE GAME

It's bad that I'm counting on the intangibles as the Sooners best chance of victory. By that I mean how it's a home game at night. How the atmosphere will be Texas Tech 2013 electric (hopefully). How we play better as underdogs. I used to be a firm believer in the power of such things. But if we're as bad as I think we are on the O-Line and in the secondary all that gets wiped out by halftime.

I really hope I'm wrong and I will pick a score based on the belief that I am wrong and I'm just being crotchety. Let's see what we have.

Sooners 27, Buckeyes 17

Boomer to the Motherfuckin Sooner.







No comments:

Post a Comment