Saturday, November 11, 2017

Sooners versus Horned Frogs

Look no further than Sooners v. Horned Frogs if you wanted to make the case that college football doesn't need a playoff because the whole season is, itself, The Playoffs. For the record I think that argument is bullshit. The Sooners, in a massive win last week, eliminated the Cowboys, made most Oklahomans shit themselves and had me saying out loud that I was done with football (due to painfully numerous and long reviews). Now the Sooners and Horned Frogs play in another elimination game. This time it's in Norman. At night. Baker Damn Mayfield called out the fans this week. I have a feeling the fanbase is going to respond. This one could get rowdy.

The Horned Frogs come in with just one loss and, surprise surprise, I haven't watched them so I assume they are yet another well coached Gary Patterson squad that wins because they don't beat themselves. Patterson is one of those rare coaches that plays chess in a checkers world. Can they game plan the Sooners a la Iowa State and, if so, can the Sooners adapt?

OFFENSE

How about that Marquise Brown. Holy smokes. I don't usually like nicknames from on-air personalities but if you go for 260 yards in Bedlam, have a full mouth of gold teeth and you're from Hollywood, Florida, I'm good with the nickname Hollywood. It's always awesome to see someone so fast they make other players look like they're in slow motion.

Navin made a great point last week about how incredible the running back group has been by stepping up as a platoon and replacing Joe Mixon and Samaje. You can now say the same about the receivers. DeeDee, Mark Andrews, Brown, Bedet, Mykel Jones. Lethal.

To say it all goes with/through Baker though is such an understatement and a broken record though. He is a bona fide Sooner legend at this point. One of the all time greats by any metric.

For my OPOG I'm breaking me own rule and going with Baker. It's not my fault he's this good and I shall not punish him for it.

DEFENSE

I mean, I just don't know what to make of this situation. My head about popped off last week when Jordan Thomas cemented his place as one of the all time worst corners in OU history. It boggled my mind though when Parnell Motley was benched before Thomas for being ineffective. I mean, I get it if Motley was off. But how much worse could he have been than Thomas? Anyhow, they both wound up getting replaced by freshmen and it might happen again today.

I am impressed by Mike Stoops willingness to get out of his comfort zone and change personnel until he find pieces that a) give a shit and b) are effective. But Stoops is living in his own little playoff scenario wherein he's scheming for his coaching life. At OU anyway.

I don't care what happens as long as Kenny Hill Jr. gets knocked on his ass many times. This is a particular kind of asshole. He tried to patent his nickname, "Kenny Trill" for fucks sake.

For my DPOG I'll go Tre Brown. I think he's the freshmen CB who had two INT's wiped out by penalty last week. There is a very good chance he won't see the field today.

THE SCORE

I'm really thinking this is a low scoring (compared to last week) slugfest. TCU will score because they can fog a mirror and the Sooners offense will have to work it's ass off to get things rolling. Still, Sooner Nation wants this to be a legendary evening and the collective will wins out.

Sooners 34 Horned Frogs 28

Boomer to the motherfuckin Sooner

No comments:

Post a Comment