Sunday, September 1, 2019

Houston

Welcome back loyal reader(s)! Another season of steamroller is upon us and I promise on my life that each week I will churn out decidedly below average content with minimal effort, zero insight, and absolutely no research, it's my commitment to you! It's telling that after completing this "piece" I will have written more articles about the Sooners 2019 football team than I've read. The Sooners start 2019 with a rematch of a game we'd all rather forget. But that was the Bob Stoops era where, as much as people hate to admit it, teams often weren't prepared for inferior opponents. However, since Lincoln Riley has taken over, these things are hopefully but a memory. I'm pretty optimistic that with Alex Grinch coming over from Ohio State, that the team might actually start fielding something resembling a defense. The offense loses most of the offensive line, something that I think could really cause the offense to struggle this year, especially early. Oh and I did mention there is a new QB under center? That may make an impact as well.

Offense

Jalen Hurts comes over from Alabama as, more or less, your typical SEC QB: athletic as a mofo, but struggles with the forward pass. If anyone can turn him into a productive, if not heisman winning, QB it has to be wunderkind Lincoln Riley. I think Riley will scheme so that Hurts is throwing lots of short, quick passes to guys in space and letting them do the work with their legs. This both takes the mental game out of it (somewhat) for Hurts and doubles to reduce the burden on the new O-line to protect for long periods. I like Hurts as my opg today for 250+ through the air, 50+ on the ground and accounting for 4 scores.

Defense

Can I name a player on the OU defense? Yes, yes I can (teaser). I think the OU defense will struggle today. Holgerson will have the Cougars running a wide-open up tempo offense as we all know. And while I'm optimistic about Grinch, I strongly doubt he's solved the Big 12 offenses already. What I hope is that OU can make enough plays to force Houston to punt, settle for field goals, and with any luck, turn it over a couple of times. I like Kenneth Murray to fly around and rack up 12+ tackles and have a big impact, particularly on some well designed blitzes.

Score

OU is favored big in this one, but I don't think it will be a runaway. Houston will put up some points for sure. But, I like the sooners to get out of this one with a W, if in a bit of a wobbly start. Sooners take it 37-28.

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner

No comments:

Post a Comment