Friday, September 13, 2019

UCLA

Hello faithful reader(s), I really shit the bed last week in failing to get something up for the doormat game. It’s hard to get up for one of those, particularly when I’m unable to watch. This week should prove more of a test against a UCLA squad, albeit an underperforming one to this point. Chip Kelly seems to have whatever the turf equivalent is of the Midas touch ever since leaving Oregon. It’s possible he figures out the problem and once again produces top ranked programs, but let’s just hope he doesn’t take step one this weekend. And while the Bruins aren’t as formidable as they’ve been at times in the past, this first road test against a power 5 school, effectively starts the “meat” of the schedule. Let’s get going on the right foot. 

Offense 

I’m starting to believe Lincoln Riley may be an actual savant when it comes to designing an offense. So far, it’s been his most impressive start for me. He has essentially a completely new offensive line as well as a transfer qb that has been, er, inconsistent at best prior to coming to OU. Granted the skill positions were fairly stocked and so the cupboard wasn’t empty, but it’s still impressive. Now, the question remains if this level of play will continue against increasingly strong competition, Saturday is the first step. Hurts has been nothing short of great. But, I think UCLA’s speed on defense slows him down a bit. I like Trey Sermon in this one to have big day with over 100 yards on the ground and 2 TDs. 

Defense

The Sooners pitched a shutout in the first half last week. I know I know, it was a JV team. But how much of a reach is it to imagine that game the last two years and picture yourself screaming that “it’s fucking South Dakota?!?” as they score a 3rd first half touchdown and “hang around”. By no means am I declaring the defense fixed, but it’s been a damn sight better this year than it has been in a while. UCLA will score, ole chipper knows how to create mismatches and score. But I think OU continues it’s steady start. I like Delarrin Turner-Yell to fly around and make some big plays and force one turnover today for my dpg. 

Score

I think the Sooners start fast and UCLA stays in it with some second half scoring, but alas it isn’t enough for the Bruins, the Sooners leave the pacific time zone unbeaten, 44-27. 


Boomer to the Motherfuckin’ Sooner 

No comments:

Post a Comment