Saturday, October 19, 2019

Oklahoma Sooners versus West Virginny

Gooood morning, undefeated Sooner fans! Here's to hoping the Sooners, fresh off a signature victory down in Dallas, are less hungover than I am today.  Today, West Virginia comes to Norman with arguably their worst squad since joining the Big 12. The Sooners are in the driver's seat and need to stay there. They can do so by staying engaged in this one. I know it's a lot to ask to match the intensity of a rivalry game week in and week out but that should be the goal.

OFFENSE

Crucial red zone takeaways marred what was otherwise another dominant performance by the offense against texas. The offensive line performed admirably. CeeDee Lamb made the case he is the best wide receiver in college football. Jalen Hurts showed resiliency after the two turnovers.

Today there is nothing to work out or get back on track. The hammer just needs to come down on the Mountaineers and there will be no answer, at least from their defense.

It's clinical at this point to assume Jalen or CeeDee will be offensive players of the game so it's not real fun to pick them. I guess I'll go with Kennedy Brooks today. I love his running style and he can pile on yards in a hurry.

On another note, I was checking the box score from last week and was surprised to see only five players caught balls for the Sooners. I bet that's the fewest this century but I'm way too lazy to check.

DEFENSE

The kudos, first trickling and now flooding in, are much deserved. This defense can win games and that is so massive and refreshing. Alex Grinch would very much like to create more turnovers but, **flicks on crimson colored glasses CSI Miami style**, that's what punts are.

However, if turnovers are the next evolution towards true saltiness then today presents an opportunity. Former Sooner QB Austin Kendall leads the Mountaineers and he's thrown seven INT's in five games and is sporting an abysmal 45.7 QBR (Jalen Hurts 95).

I think Alex Grinch keeps this group engaged today by keeping the aggressive play calling ratcheted up in an effort to start getting some of those turnovers.

Speaking of refreshing, how about being able to reliably pick a DPOG for the first time in years? Kenneth (dare I saw MF?) Murray is in full on beast mode. So, I've got to stretch the brain cells a smidge (not easy) and ID someone besides him.

I'll go Parnell Motley today in an effort to try to show some faith and support in homepiece. He's close to playing at a high level again. He could make a big step today.

THE SCORE

This one should be over by half time. I'm most interested in seeing what the attitude is like following a huge win and now being in the driver's seat. It's all out there in front of them. This is the time to shore everything up so that control is never taken away.

The Sooners win this one big, 56-14

Boomer to the motherfuckin Sooner

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I’m not even offended since y’all predicted that score so well. I don’t really know anything about football so all I can offer is: our coach is brand spanking new. And he‘s like12.

    ReplyDelete