Saturday, September 12, 2020

Oklahoma Sooners vs. Missouri State

 Welcome, Sooner fans, to the 2020 dystopian hellscape of a football season. Death and disease be damned, the show goes on. The Sooners hope to offer a glint of joy to we weary fans.

Enough of my doom and gloom. 

What do the Sooners bring to the table this year? Well, Spencer Rattler at the quarterback position for one. He's much ballyhooed and already appearing on Heisman watch lists. It's not as far fetched as it sounds what with Lincoln Riley being a quarterback whisperer. Also, the Sooners have very little in the way of returning running backs so Rattler will almost certainly be forced to carry more of the load until that position gets settled. Trey Sermon transferred, Kennedy Brooks opted out of the season and Rahmondre Stevenson is suspended. CeeDee Lamb is also gone. 

What I'm saying here is there are opportunities for new faces to step up. This is especially so this season because there is no eligibility limit. This is a free season for everyone so lots of younger players should see the field.

All this makes for some compelling television. 

OFFENSE

I've already spent some time talking about Spencer Rattler but there are other playmakers to watch for today in Charleston Rambo and Trejan Fields at the wide receiver position. As previously mentioned, the running back position needs to get settled. 

The O-line features a true freshman starting at left tackle. I'm too lazy to look him up. Honestly, I didn't think there would be a season so I don't know any of these fucking guys. 

Missouri State figures to be a perfect opener to knock the rust off and get up to speed. I'm taking Spencer for my OPOG.

DEFENSE

We last saw these boys getting their asses spanked by LSU and they still might be still be having nightmares from that shit show. 

However, just as last year was worth watching to see what the Alex Grinch defense might look like, so is this year worth watching to see if a giant leap forward is forthcoming.

It should, not only because of experience and comfort, but also because of that eligibility rule. Expect to see a ton of young guys get some opportunities to elevate this defense. 

Sadly,I'm not sure I could name a starter on this side of the ball. I'm excited to learn their names along with everyone else. It is my understanding that there is some solid young talent in the secondary which would be much welcomed.

In the meantime I will take Jaden Davis as my DPOG because I recognize his name and I imagine he'll see some snaps today.

THE SCORE

I'm going to say Sooners 70, the Bears 7. This is going to be a weird season with a giant asterisk at the end. But, it's football and it's a reprieve so let's enjoy what small pleasures we can these days.

Boomer to the motherfuckin Sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment