Saturday, November 13, 2021

Baylor

 Since we last got together for a Sooners game the playoff rankings have been released. Many years ago in my younger and more naive days, the Sooners poor ranking would've given me much angst and vitriol to spew about fairness and blah blah blah. My nephew and I had a conversation that afforded me the new, and strange, role of talking him down as he had the same angst and vitriol I just mentioned. But years of watching, and being let down, have given me perspective and perhaps a whiff of insight. As I told him, none of it matters unless the Sooners win the rest of their games. One loss at this point, and we're pretty much done for the playoff anyway, regardless of our initial ranking. Like it or not, unlike Alabama for example, OU has done nothing to earn the benefit of the doubt. And, if the Sooners do win out (massive "if" given what we've seen from the defense), things will take care of themselves and everything we dream of each season will still be on the table. But, none of it matters if OU rolls into Waco today and loses a tough, conference road game. Which, I fear, is a very real possibility. 

Offense

Caleb Williams has ignited a Sooner fanbase unlike any player I can quickly think of since the likes of Adrian Peterson. Not since AD has any player, let alone another true freshman, been so obviously better than most (if not all) of the players on the field. He's so fun to watch because in addition to all the obvious athleticism and talent, he really seems to be a smart player inherently. Converse to the defense it's nice to watch someone not fuck things up regularly. This is a tough road game against a very good team. And while the Sooners don't win without a great game from CW, the run game is essential to controlling the ball and keeping our abysmal defense off of the field. As such, I like Kennedy Brooks in this one. He has decidedly been out of the limelight since CW took over, but he's still a complete badass. I like Lincoln to lean on him today, and he delivers.

Defense

If you just picked up the newspaper and read the box score, it would look like the Sooner defense played a pretty solid game (by their woefully low standards) against Tech. But it was still the same story of guys out of position, missed tackles, and generally shitty play. And as I threatened before that game I refuse to pick anyone on that side of the ball until they start playing respectably. 

Score

OU is 5 point road favorites, Baylor is a solid team with nothing to lose. This is a recipe for a bed shitting. I'm predictably nervous, and a loss wouldn't surprise me. From here on out the schedule is a real rectum tester. But, one game at a time. I think OU does enough to escape Waco with a win and remain unbeaten. Sooners win it, 27-24. 

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner 

No comments:

Post a Comment