Saturday, October 15, 2022

Kansas

 As a more-than-casual/less-than-obsessed fan of the Sooners football team, I'm certainly not privy to the list of things one has to do to be fired as head coach of the football team. I don't know what items are on that list. I don't know how many of said items need to be checked off in order to merit a firing. I'm fairly certain that a physical list of such doesn't even exist. But I feel confident that there is a mental list kept by every booster, every board of directors member, all alumni and anyone who is a fan of the Sooners. And I know, with no uncertainty, that losing to texas 49-0 is high on, if not the top of, that list. When John Blake was the coach, and yes I'm again comparing this team to those teams, and not unfairly I might add, he won exactly two games my freshman year at OU: texas and Oklahoma State. They were most certainly miracles (at least texas) and they most certainly bought him another couple of years as coach. Brent Venables seat got notably toasty last week. Losing is one thing, but getting absolutely embarrassed and destroyed in every facet against texas is something on a different level. This team has gone from cautiously optimistic playoff contender, to get it fixed or your ass is gone in the span of three games. That's no small feat. It's fair to say that we've been spoiled as fans, things haven't been this bad in nearly a quarter of a century. But here we are, and OU football is no longer frustrating. It is flat out bad and hard to watch. I have nothing good to say, my apologies. 

Offense

I will pick Braden "Whachootalkinbout" Willis here. He and Marvin Mims have so far shown they are the only capable members of this offense. The only time the Sooners moved the ball with any real promise last week was when Willis was installed as a gadget-y wildcat QB. Of course with that type of "success", Lebby and company quickly moved away from it and went back to the Davis Beville aerial display. 

Defense

There is nothing good to say here. Somehow the defense, with mastermind Brent Venables, is worse than last year. In fairness, aside from the run game, deep passes, intermediate passes, short passes and screens, they've been pretty good. Danny Stutsman? I guess?

Score

KU is actually decent. In a normal year I would expect the Sooners to get up for the opportunity to put the Jayhawks in their place. This year, even with the KU QB out, I don't see a lot of reason for optimism. OU is somehow -9 in this, that feels like easy money to me. But, I will throw ill-advised blind faith at it and say the Sooners somehow stay above .500 and win it 17-14.

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner

No comments:

Post a Comment