Saturday, September 23, 2023

Cincinnati

 Today marks the start of Big 12 play for the Sooners. It is also the first true road test of the season. Thus far the Sooners have played good football. Two demolitions sandwiched around a questionable effort vs a sort of decent SMU team. My optimism is mostly tempered by the memory of similar start last season. 3-0 delusions of a competent defense followed by a season ending run of cold, wet shit. Is this team different? Time will tell, but the conference opener on the road against a decent Bearcat club should give us a little bit better of an idea. 

Dylan Gabriel still looks an awful lot like Dylan Gabriel. Last week was arguably his best game as a Sooner in my opinion. He looked through his progressions at least a couple of times, which is a couple of times more than he's done otherwise this season. The accuracy issues remain and his decision making is questionable, but credit where due last week. That said, I still think he loses us games this year. Arnold is clearly the better player albeit inexperienced. The running game would be a fantasy football manager's nightmare if one dabbled in such pursuits. It's a wild card as to who will be the feature back any given week with four viable options to fill that role. Still, it's been successful thus far and I hope that continues. 

Defensively, it is the Danny Stutsman show. Better teams will scheme to take him out of such a dominant role, but so far he has been nothing short of dominant. Hopefully the front four can generate more pressure than they have, otherwise it's going to be a long day for the second against more skilled opponents.

Offense

Dylan Gabriel has playstation numbers to this point. I still have no faith in him. I'm usually not a believer in the "eyeball test". If the numbers are good, the numbers don't lie. But anyone who has followed the team can see how much he leaves out there. His deep ball is comically bad and he misses open receivers early and often. So, I can't in good conscience choose him. I will instead go with Andrel Anthony (the irony, as he depends on Gabriel).  Anthony has been incredible thus far and is clearly Gabriel's favorite target. I think he has a big day on the road in spite of the rainy conditions. 

Defense

Stutsman is just my only choice here until someone else steps up and kills it. I'm going with Danny again and I think he tears it up today.

Score

OU is favored by 14 in this one. I think that is highly optimistic. It's a road test. It's Cincy's first conference game in the Big 12, the team and fans will be amped. They have a decent offense with a QB that can run (always trouble for the Sooners). The conditions aren't optimal for a high flying attack. I think Cincy hangs around and I think this is too close for comfort. Sooners escape 31-28.

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner

No comments:

Post a Comment