Thursday, September 28, 2023

Iowa State

 Hello Sooners fans, today's contest pits the Sooners against the Cyclones of Iowa State. OU comes in averaging 46.5 pts and 506+ yards/game on offense. Iowa State compares at 21 pts and 308+ yards on offense. OU's numbers are clearly skewed by two huge performances against bad teams. ISU could say the same with a piss poor loss to Ohio (not Ohio State mind you, the other one) where managed only 7 pts in a 10-7 defeat. OU is coming off a road-win in a trap-game (my assessment) against Big 12 newcomer Cincinnati. I missed the majority of the game unfortunately, but from what I read and heard from those that watched, the offense left quite a few points out there. This is known scientifically as the Dylan Gabriel effect. The part I didn't see coming was the defense holding Cincy down all day. They employ a hybrid QB that is just the sort of player that was all but guaranteed a career day against OU's past teams. I think he played like absolute shit, but credit where due. I can't remember the last time OU won a game on defense against anyone, no matter how shitty they were. 

It's all sunshine for now, but similar tidings were had last year and we all know how that went. Sooner nation collective has their ear to the door waiting for that other shoe. I'm hoping it never drops, but realistically, it will at some point. Iowa State is coming off a nice win against Oklahoma State. I've watched zero minutes of ISU football this year so I don't know which of the 2-2 teams is the real one. At minimum they've proven their capable of beating a decent team. OU can't go to sleep in this one, just need to keep the pedal to the metal and keep that defense clicking.

Offense

After 3 games of correctly predicting who would be completely absent from the offense, I finally got one right last week with Andrel Anthony. I admit it was a pretty sturdy limb I was out on, but nonetheless he blew up. I'm feeling lucky with the dice today so I'm going to take a shot at an RB. I'm going to say it's Javantae Barnes who gets the call this week. It's been a different guy nearly every week who is the bell cow. It might as well be Barnes this one. 

Defense

At this point I'm afraid to not pick him. It has to be Stutsman. This guy is playing way into legendary OU linebacker status, which is no easy club to break into. He's unbelievable every week and teams have to be scheming away from him at this point. In spite of that, he's still everywhere on the field blowing up plays.

Score

OU is favored by 20 at the time of publication. That's a pretty solid line for the Sooners. But, Matt Campbell is a really good coach and since he's been at ISU the Cyclones have played OU extremely tough every time. They are coming off a big win and I'm sure the team is feeling good coming in. The home crowd will be amped, the Sooners will be ready. OU wins this one 37-24.

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner

No comments:

Post a Comment