Saturday, September 9, 2023

SMU

 What can I say about that win last week? It was pure domination from start to finish. Arkansas State is clearly not a good football team at all. Going in, the average person would have expected a rout. With that in mind, the win really means nothing. But, how many games like this has OU played in the last decade-plus and it's been an absolute nail biter? How many games did they go in as massive favorites against an overmatched team and then needed a late stop or score to barely pull out a win? Damn near every time it seems to me. I can't remember the last time an OU football team was that dominant. It was what was expected and it was still damn fun.  Also, Jackson Arnold looks like the real deal. His arm looks to be very solid and the best one on the team in my opinion, not that this is saying a ton. 

However, I did see some things that were troubling. Dylan Gabriel still has a weak arm, anything he throws more than 20 yards looks like a punt. His accuracy is, um, questionable. He is serviceable, but if/when we get to a game where we need him to carry us, I don't particularly like our chances. The defense played well, much better than they did at times last year. But ASU shot themselves in the foot multiple times with missed receivers and so many drops. They probably left at least 10-17 points out there. No, this isn't a ton, but good teams aren't going to make these mistakes and get the D off the field. Finally, there are a couple of injuries to mention. Most notably Drake Stoops left with a shoulder separation which could be a day-to-day situation or an out-multiple-weeks situation. I read he could've returned if the game wasn't a blowout, which is obviously encouraging, but it is still something to keep an eye on. Oh and Davis Beville did something to one of his extra long pipe-cleaner legs.

SMU looks to be a much tougher test and one that should show us a lot more about what this Sooners team really is. They have a very talented offense and a smart young coach that knows how to game plan. It will be a tough test for the OU D to be sure. I am nervous, but that is pretty much every game. But truthfully I have no real idea of what to expect from OU on either side of the ball. They looked capable, but against what? This will be an interesting game for sure.

Offense

Gabriel looked solid last week in spite of his arm talent issues. He hit the right guys in situations and more or less hit open guys. I will take this result every week. The RBs looked very good, and only stand to improve when Gavin Sawchuck is healthy. At this point it appears to be a committee back there and no one really stood out as weak. I'm still on the Javonte Barnes train and he did get the most carries. I really nailed my Jalil Farooq pick. I think he was the only skill player to not touch the ball and only had two targets. I know my shit. This week I am going with another WR Jaquaize Pettaway. He was a highly touted recruit and he had a massive week 1. This will change as teams look for him, but I still think he continues to emerge as our top target and has a big week.

Defense

All around this was a very good effort last week. There seemed to be a lot of guys rotating through at all three levels and (admittedly against a very poor team) they pretty much maintained the same level of play. There were a few dumb penalties that need to be cleaned up but I liked the aggression that they stemmed from. This week I'm going to go with all-world recruit Peyton Bowen. He made some nice plays last week as he was eased into the scheme. I think he only continues to get better as the season progresses and I think he makes a big play this week.

Score

The season long shutout is coming to an end I'm afraid. SMU moves the ball well and they have talent at the skill positions. My hope is that our defensive front can control their O-line and apply pressure while shutting down the run game. If they can stand back all day and pick us apart it will be bad times indeed. The spread is OU -16 currently. I don't think OU quite covers against a good offensive team. But our beloved Sooners do enough to get the W 37-24. Let's keep this rolling.


Boomer to the Motherfuckin Sooner


No comments:

Post a Comment