Saturday, October 28, 2023

Kansas

 I don't know if I will ever learn. Every time I start to get the inkling that our Sooners team might actually be decent, they look like absolute trash against a mediocre-bad opponent. After the texas win I expected a let down might be possible, but I also thought the extra week would give the team both time to prepare and a little bit of a buffer to let the shine wear off of that huge win. Yet, they came out and played completely piss poor on both sides of the ball. Yes, the kicker was terrible and they proved meaningful later in the game (as it generally does), but the offense could not move the ball at all in the second half, and the defense reverted to it's old ways of making the other team's QB look incredible and absolutely melting down on third down all game. It's the most frustrating variety of football to watch as a fan. 

Today the Sooners travel to Lawrence KS. A place where the Sooners have historically had a lot of success. Much of that is simply because OU is often a much more talented team. However, this Jayhawks club is on a major upswing and actually is a quality opponent for the first time in a long time. They had a big letdown two weeks ago against a good OSU team that, frankly, KU should've beaten. If our Sooners play anything like they did last week against a fairly bad UCF team, this will be comfortable win for the Jayhawks.

Offense

While Nic Anderson proved me right last week, the real MVP to me was Gavin Sawchuck. He basically put the team on his back in the 4th quarter when the offense had done jack shit the entire second half. Why Marcus Major continues to start is beyond me. If anything, Major has been the 4th best back on the team in my opinion. But, it always goes back to Dylan Gabriel. A true leader wouldn't have been so bad when the team needed them. I don't know if I'll ever be a believer in him, he just does too many bad things at bad times and has too many long stretches of bad football. It  is going to cost them at some point this year, I just don't know when. For my OPG I will go with Sawchuck today. I think (hope) his performance last week opened some eyes in the coaches office and I think he gets a lot of work today and keeps the KU offense off the field. 

Defense

Last week was very much an OU defense of the last 20 years. If you're unsure, that was not a compliment. I'm going Stutsman again. Until proven otherwise, he's the man on this D.

Score

OU is favored by 7 here. In my mind this has major upset potential. It's the KU homecoming, they've had an extra week to prepare, this is their Super Bowl. OU looked bad last week, and probably should've lost that one. My hope is that it was a wake up call. But historically, those types of wake up calls have not been heard. Still, I will hold out hope. Sooners escape again, 34-30.


Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment