Saturday, November 4, 2023

Oklahoma State or The Last Bedlam

 What a joke that last game was. Brent Venables' vaunted defensive mind managed to put out the exact same defense we've had for the last 20 years. Where is this mastermind strategy? How do we leave a receiver completely alone on 4th and 6 on the game winning drive? How many times can we watch an opposing offense make miracle play after miracle play before we realize that they might not be miracles, and just terrible defense? It's abysmal and it's the worst way to lose. And we've made it an art. The most undisciplined, out of position, collapsing defense: your Oklahoma Sooners. I've exhausted this topic over the years and yet I still fool myself into thinking it isn't happening any more. What a dummy. Aside from the defense, can we mention Jeff Lebby? That guy can't scheme a window open in his own living room. Does he have nothing in the playbook to call when we desperately need a first down? When we need 3 yards? It's pathetic. I think Gavin Freeman is a fun player. He's a gadget guy with some great speed. But that end around that famously went for a TD the first time it was called last season? It isn't fooling anyone anymore, so maybe let's not call that play 7 times per game. The players could've done more to execute last game. Danny Stutsman getting hurt was a huge loss. But that L on the schedule is squarely on the coaches. Having the ball with (I'm estimating here) 90 seconds left and a couple of time outs before the half is the time where your "high flying, fast paced" offense should be stomping on the gas to get at minimum 3 points. Just letting the clock run out was ludicrous to me in the moment and man did it ever look stupid late in the game when a few more points surely would've been nice. I just can't be more disgusted with the coaching staff. 

Oh yeah, Bedlam is today. And if you were to believe Mike Gundy they are discontinuing the Super Bowl. Only a Super Bowl where one team wins 91 times out of 110. I know this is the biggest game for OSU, and I truly do appreciate the in-state battle. But this is less of a rivalry and more of a game OU tries hard not to lose every year. It pisses me off no end when OSU wins this, but in the kind of way that it pisses a dog off when a flea bites it. OSU is an elite mediocre football school. Mike Gundy does just enough coaching and mouth running to not get fired. His good ole boy speak rings true to their fanbase but what has he ever really won? I'll save you the google search, since his hiring in 2005 OSU has one (!) conference championship. In short he has elevated the program to a proudly sustained not-exactly-shitty level that people somehow love. But, true to form, he has ran his mouth ad nauseam about OU and texas leaving the conference. I guess he will miss getting his ass beat 9 years out of every 10. 

Offense

I don't know what to do here. Apparently Jalil Farooq was arrested for traffic violations this week, I have no idea if he is playing or not. Dylan Gabriel continues to be himself (this is not a compliment), and the RBs are a dart throw as to who Demarco Murray has taken a shine to when he woke up this morning. The fact that we really have no go-to weapon says a lot. Not having anyone that consistently steps up and makes plays in the big moment is troubling. I'm going to say that Gavin Sawchuck is the guy today. He's been the best back we have so far, which means nothing in terms of how much he will see the ball today. Here's hoping...

Defense

Danny Stutsman, is my go to. Sadly he is "questionable". At the time of my writing this, he seems probable. Kip Lewis (shame on his parents for that) looked like a solid replacement when he stepped in last week. In the interest of picking someone who I'm fairly sure is going to play, I'll take Dasan McCollough today for a big game. 

Score

OU is favored by 6. I don't really see a way OSU fans aren't tearing down goalposts after this one. The only thing in our favor is we just got embarrassed by an average KU team. Another year, another terrible loss against a team that had no business winning. Death, taxes... So with that in mind, I'll borrow Mitch's crimson colored glasses for a moment and say OU win 31-30. I'm already not looking forward to hating this game.

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner

No comments:

Post a Comment