Saturday, November 19, 2011

Baylor

Though it's only been one week off from posting, I feel as though it's been longer. The last time I "published" something on here I was tailgating on the cusp of attending my first Sooner game in far too long. That, by the way, was bad fucking ass. However, if one thing could have pissed on my lunch box (aside from a loss) it was Broyles getting hurt and being out for the game/week/season/career. Shit.  

Needless to say, that is big loss seeing as he is out for all of the former with "a knee". If that wasn't enough, we snuck back into the national title race (albeit barely), only to have those hopes obliterated by an incompetent OSU squad last night. Rest assured however, that they will look like world beaters in two weeks when we come to town. Their loss nearly guarantees us no chance at the title game even if we win out. 

Tonight offers a serious road test, and frankly I'm a bit nervous about it. Baylor is better than their record, and much better when playing at home. RG3 is really good, and if he played for almost any team apart from Baylor he would probably be a serious Heisman contender. Our defense certainly has it's work cut out.

The good news is we've had two weeks to prepare for them. While it is on the road, I don't know that Baylor is exactly the Terrordome of collegiate sports. I certainly hope we come ready, and I hope Venables took the time to come up with a decent game plan rather than just going with the base package come hell or high water. Moreover, I hope he adjusts if things are't working out, but after a decade of not adjusting I'm not sure why tonight would be the watershed moment.

OK, I'm rambling. I'm half drunk from last night and really have no idea where any of this is going. I'm pretty sure that's the exact recipe for a "shitty read". On to the picks.

Offense

Man, without Broyles in there it really opens things up, and maybe not in a good way. We've lost our two best offensive weapons this season. What I'm really hoping for is that Broyles' injury induces the Ewing Factor for our offense (not going to explain that, if you read Bill Simmons when he was good you know, but suffice it to say it's a good thing: dba false hope). I really want to go with Fuckin' Shitbag today, I really do. However, I'm feeling a bit feisty and going with a guy who has been coming on of late and picking Jaz "hands" Reynolds (try to do jazz hands after he makes a play and not like it, go ahead, try). He has been coming on strong and I think he breaks out for real today. 100+ and at least one touch.

Defense

As you all know, I'm horny for Frank Alexander (in the truck driver/lumberjack manly sort of way). He has just been dominant all season. But, on the opposite side of the D-line the Hammer has been almost quietly as good if not better. With that in mind, I'm pick the Hammer today. His first ever nomination from me. In fact, coupled with my pick on offense, I've stepped out of my usual realm today. I think we see Ronnell get after RG3 today, and bury his shifty ass more than once. I love that.

As for the score, I'm a little torn here. On one hand I can see it being a track meet given the two offenses (and defenses). However I feel like that often those types of games go the other way. Couple that with the fact that I think our offense needs a little time to get it's footing post-Broyles and I think it's lower scoring than most would think. Also, I think that with the OSU loss fresh in our minds, we may not be as "up" for it as normal given that our national title hopes are probably gone. I like us in this, one but I think it's a tough win. OU takes this one in a battle 27-20. 

Let's beat these motherfuckers, and let's at least make it hard for the assholes to decide who should play in the national championship. 

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner.


No comments:

Post a Comment