Saturday, October 20, 2012

Kansas

I'll be truthful here. Last week was a lot of fun. On the same note, I never saw it coming. Yes, our offense looked dominant, but at this point I think they may be a hat tip to the shitty texas defense as much as it our offense. However, what we did to their offense reminds me of what made me so hard for the return of Mike Stoops. Suddenly the dismantling of Tech two weeks ago seems more impressive as well. Time will tell if that's a mirage or not.

This week we play a traditionally poor Kansas squad who is doing nothing this season to change that perception. It's being viewed by some as a trap game. Possible considering the bookends on it. But, I just can't picture it.

Charlie Weis has made the KU defense somewhat respectable, kind of like a stripper who insists on always wearing pasties is respectable. I'm sure Lonnie will do something dumb but he really played pretty well last week and that makes two consecutive weeks he's done so. My hope is we'll get the run game going and make things easier on everyone.

Defensively, it's going to be a real let down if we don't dismantle them. I really think we will though. I'm not sure if it's simply coincidence but the rise of Frank Shannon has mirrored our defensive ascent. The secondary has looked awesome and Aaron Colvin in particular has looked like a badass. I'm very excited, I hope they continue to "gel" as the kids are saying. We'll need everything they've got in the next couple of weeks.

Offense

Lonnie described his receiving corps as the deepest in his time at OU. It's hard to argue as there are 6 really good options at least. But in my mind it's been the running game that has made the biggest difference. It just opens everything else up. Today I like the guy who was the MVP of last week in my opinion, Trey Millard. He really took over and sounded the truck horn a few times. I hope this opens Huepel's eyes to what a serious weapon he has there. Millard springs Williams a few times and gets in himself for at least one touch.

Defense

There is a lot to like here. Especially because it's been a total group effort so far. I'm sold enough at this point that I'm going with Frank Shannon. He's really played well and seems to elevate everyone else. I like him for a big sack today and multiple tackles.

Score

I think we'll probably come out a little sluggish. As a result I'll probably have blood seeping out of my eye by halftime from overreacting to the fact that we don't have a fifty point lead after two quarters. Fear not, I think we'll get it together and win this one going away. Sooners roll today 45-10.

Let's TCB today.

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment