Friday, October 12, 2012

texas

The Red River Game is on us again. This is going to be an epic showdown. There's no love lost between these two. You can throw out the records on this one. It's going to come down to who can protect the football. These two are going to leave everything on the field. It's going to be a street fight.

And so it goes with these types of games. I'll admit I've got a railroad spike between my legs for this one. I do hate texas. One of those pure hates where it's nearly impossible to imagine a scenario where I'd root for them to win. (You have to root for Texas or go down on Rosy O'Donnell with a nasty yeast infection fresh after a marathon. Me: how hot is it during the run?) Even if you take all of the rivalry out of the picture (impossible) this game is enormous in both the conference and national landscapes. Oddly though this is the first year in a while where the conference championship didn't rest on this game. Both teams come in with conference losses. Nonetheless if the Sooners can win it they still have most of (if not all of) their goals within reach.

Now that I've ran the importance of the game into the ground, let's look at the game itself. I have visions of 2001 in this one. A tight defensive (or maybe inept offensive) game where it comes down to the end. Also like 2001 this game features a QB wont to shit all over the field in the face of pressure. Unlike 2001, that QB is a Sooner. I have a terrible fear that the texas D-Line will (easily) coax Lonnie in to multiple turnovers. Let's hope I'm as off the mark with that prediction as I normally am.

I think our defense is improving and will be able to do a decent job with their offense. Javon Harris, in spite of his pick 6 last week,consistently misses tackles and is obviously out of position. He is the worst piece of an otherwise solid secondary. Frank Shannon gave us hope last week that the flailing cockney tackler-Tom Wort's days may be numbered. I don't hate Wort but he's been a pretty average (at best) player. Though coaches are saying Wort will start, my guess is his lease will be pretty short. Regardless I think Shannon will get significant meaningful minutes. Let's hope last week wasn't an aberration.

Offense

To his credit, Lonnie has played relatively well against texas. That said, this is his first go at them without Broyles. While he did play well last week, he's been historically hot and cold week-to-week. As I texted Mitch last week, I guess we're getting Mr. Hyde this week. Here's hoping I'm wrong. I'm not going to get too out of the box on this one. I'm going with Kenny Fuckin' Shitbag Stills. I like him for 2 (that's right 2!) scores today.

Defense

Oh how I want to pick Frank Shannon, everyone's newest darling. But I'm not ready to, ahem, crown his ass just yet. I'm going slightly off the beaten path here and going with Casey Walker. He had a big game in Dallas last season and I think today he gets back in the groove again.

Score

As I said, I think this is going to be a low scoring affair. I've really had a bad feeling all week but I awoke today with renewed enthusiasm (read: morning wood). I think our D keeps us in it and we do enough to eek this one out. Sooners win, 17-13.

Now let's go out and roll these rotten motherfuckers.

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner!!

No comments:

Post a Comment