Saturday, October 20, 2012

OU - Kansas Homecoming

Confidence at Steamroller HQ is sky high after the PlayStation Beginner Level-esque de-pantsing of the Longhorns. Last week the defense looked baby eating fierce and the offense, without having to resort to razzle dazzle, broke the spirit of a hapless Lonhorn defense.

There is officially an embarassment of wealth on offense. The offensive line is improving week to week. The first team D has given up 5 touchdowns. The Sooners are back in this thing officially.

The key this week is to take the confidence accrued from near flawless execution and use the hapless Kansas Jayhawks as a tool upon which to improve. Because, I don't know if you've heard or not, but a highly regarded Notre Dame Fighting Irish football team comes to Norman next week.

First things first though. Let's keep it simple and smack the Jayhawks.

OFFENSE

Last week was one of the finest offensive performances Sooner fans will ever see. The Sooners pounded and punished and outmanned Texas. They dominated individual matchups and unleashed their biggest multi-threat weapon in Trey Millard.

I cannot say enough about Millard. Something good almost always happens when he touches the ball. It was nice to see him get featured. I don't think anyone expected him to go off like he did but he clearly is capable of being more than just an occasional safety valve. He needs to be a focal point.

This week the offense just needs to keep refining what they do and stay healthy. The rapidly improving O-Line needs to continue to take steps forward. They've been awesome the last few weeks.

For my OPOG I'm going DD Williams. I'd love to go ride Millard's hot hand but maybe by not picking him I'll reverse-jinx the Sooners into using him as much as they did last week. In short, I hope I'm wrong with my pick.

DEFENSE

I have to pat my own back for hopping on the Aaron Colvin bandwagon pretty early. He's starting to stand out on a defense that's starting to come together, "in a great way".

For my DPOG I'm going to take a page out of Nathan's playbook and go with Casey Walker. The dude has been on a mission lately and is a big reason the D has become so menacing lately.

THE SCORE

After last week's trouncing I'm content like a fatty who's eaten his weight at Thanksgiving. I hope the same cannot be said for the Sooners. This week is the closest thing to a bye they'll have all year. They have to use it for improvement, not rest. They also can't afford to be like fans and look forward to next week.

A letdown seems unlikely. It's a homecoming night game and they're returning after two absolute trouncings. The Sooners will rise to the occasion and satisfy everyone's bloodlust. Then get ready for an epic tilt next week.

Sooners 63, Jayhawks 10

Boomer to the Mothrfuckin Sooner

No comments:

Post a Comment