Saturday, October 22, 2016

Texas Tech

Let me start by offering apologies for my shit piece last week where I mistakenly thought the Sooners had a road game. I relied (never again) on The Oklahoman and its crack reporting, who evidently isn't aware that when listing a ____ vs ____ matchup, the home team is always second, I digress.

The Sooners head down the road to Lubbock today to take on yet another high-flying Red Raider offense, currently featuring the nations leading passer. The Red Raiders score points in bunches, and have likely had special made cups brought in this week to accommodate the boners produced in awaiting the Sooner "defense". The Red Carpet is currently allowing 33 points/game which is, astonishingly not worst in the conference. They have allowed a conference-worst 1664 yards through the air, the run defense is better, but then, why would you run if you don't have to. Tech is going to score today, a lot.

Remember, when I said OU is not the worst in points per game in the Big 12 (if you don't, seek medical attention immediately, I literally said it two sentences ago), guess who is? That's right this game is going be 85 Bears vs 00 Ravens. Normally, I'd go with a close low scoring affair in the face of this matchup, but the defenses are just too terrible, and both teams winning is predicated on scoring last in a shootout. Tech will be fired up as this is Mayfield's first trip to Lubbock since transferring, a story the Fox announcers stayed up all night devising inventive ways to run into the ground by the end of the first quarter (cue cut away to Mayfield being interviewed in street clothes, one-on-one, in a canvas directors chair).

Offense

Perine being out really hurts the offense I think. He's obviously a monster, and I think the best player on the team, but he's also fresh legs and a change of pace for Mixon. I don't know if Mixon is ready to do the yeoman's work of 30+ carries and even more touches, it doesn't feel like his style. I'm sure Mayfield will be fired up, but he'll also be a marked man and the the offensive line isn't the best we've seen. I do like Baker to have a solid day and he does so by going to his new favorite target, The Secretary--Dede Westbrook. Dede dials up 150+ yards, a touchdown, and 4 cups of hot coffee for the afternoon sales meeting in an all-around solid day.

Defense

I have to admit, at first I enjoyed coming up with different ways to hate this defense, but now it's just pathetic. I assumed at some point a player or two would stand out as solid against this turd backdrop. Alas, while bright spots have been seen, there is no consistency apart from the fact that collectively the D will be embarrassed.

Score

As I alluded to earlier, this will be a track meet. Even in years when OU had something resembling a defense they've been scored upon early and often in Lubbock. Will OU have enough to win on the road? Stoops is already in his patented mode of winning out after some terrible losses to salvage a slightly-more-than-mediocre season where he can hang his hat smugly on some selective end-point statistic about how the season was a success. So yes, the Sooners do enough to win 54-48.

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment