Saturday, October 7, 2017

Iowa State

The Sooners come into this one off of a narrow and ugly win vs. a winless Baylor team. As usual, my crack reporting was woefully off, thinking Seth Russell still played for them--and as usual, I'll brush that off with a "fuck it." As you may have ascertained from my "piece" last week, I was fully drinking the Sooner Kool-Aid and felt as though they may never lose again. Ever. But hindsight, being what it is, it merits a quick review of teams the Sooners had beaten. UTEP, Ohio State, and Tulane all have what in common? None of them know how to execute the forward pass with any consistency. Granted QB or not, Ohio State has loads of talent, but OU has historically done well against run-first teams. Baylor passes first and asks questions later, the RB being mostly a "show-piece." This is alarming going into conference play where, as you may have noticed, the spread is all the rage.

In spite of the lamentations that the Sooners' bye was too early in the season, at this point I'm happy with its timing. If they had rolled over Baylor, I, too, may have wished for a bye a few weeks later to heal up, but as it stands, I think coming off a reality check where the D was exposed, the bye could be helpful. Ideally the Sooners have been "woken up" to the reality that maybe they aren't as complete as they thought they were. The offense continues to look good, but hopefully the defense gets it together and is ready for Big 12 play.

Iowa State is a solid team. 2-2 at this point, but narrowly losing a close rivalry game against a good Iowa team and also losing against texas who is probably better than their record would let on, belies a solid squad. They roll into Norman ready to give their absolute best shot to the number 3 team in the country. Coming off the bye, I hope the Sooners aren't looking ahead to the texas game and are focused on TCB today.

Offense

The worries coming into the year of having lost 3 essential skill players from last year have been mitigated by a great offensive line and a QB that elevates everyone around him. It seems each week that someone new steps up and has a great game, all of which of course is predicated on BD Mayfield. Today I'm throwing my dart in the direction of Mark Andrews. I feel like he's had an off-week to let that knee heal up and though he's played through that, I think he's close to 100% this week and has a big game against an Iowa State defense that I don't think can match up with him.

Defense

Whew, last week was ugly. PTSD inducing flashbacks to last year (and last several years). No ability to pressure the QB on obvious passing downs, and receivers getting open deep on said passing downs. It was a maddening effort littered with big plays and an inability to get off of the field on 3rd down. Aside from being torture to watch, that shit won't fly if a national championship is the goal. But I'm not ready to wash my hands of them just yet. While Parnell Motley has stepped up as the most reliable defender, I'm going to go with another DB that has been overshadowed a bit this year. I like Steven Parker to have a solid game today in all phases, stepping up in the run game and making a couple of big plays in the secondary.

Score

My mood has gone from overconfident to cautiously optimistic, or cold steel to firm chubby on the boner-meter for you high-brow types. And while I think Iowa State is better than their record, I think a Sooner squad at home, coming off of a bye is just too much today. I think the Sooners get back on track to some extend and win this one in a tune-up for Red River. Sooners win it 44-20.

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment