Saturday, September 10, 2022

Kent State

 Hello Sooners fans, on the heels of an encouraging start to the Brent Venables era, the Sooners welcome a Kent State squad that I know absolutely nothing about outside of their record (0-1). Last week, it was incredibly refreshing to see competent tackling and consistently making “routine” plays on defense. There were still coverage breakdowns and receivers being left wide open, but the signs of improvement were strong and plentiful. It’s said the hunger is the best sauce and loosely applying that to the Sooner defense I think it’s safe to say the fans were hungry. 


Offensively, the start was about as flawless as it gets. Then they sputtered a bit after getting lured into thinking every play should be a home run. I was impressed that they were able to reset, lean on the run game and then consistently move the ball. DG was solid if not spectacular. There were some missed throws and a bit of indecision at times, but overall he looked good. The foundation appears to be there, let’s hope they can “clean up” some things from last week and get tuned up for the meat of the schedule. 

Offense

There were several guys that could plausibly have been named OPG and I think Mitch nailed the Eric Gray pick. Gray was good between the tackles but also looked very good catching passes out of the backfield. Today I like Marvin Mims to have a big day and to haul in some of those long balls that didn’t quite connect last week. I think he totals over 100 yards and a TD today. 

Defense

I was extremely pleased with the gang tackling last week. It’s clear that swarming to the ball has been a point of emphasis and the basic ability to not let a minimal gain turn into a disaster 3rd down conversion was incredibly refreshing. I also very much enjoyed the ability to pressure without selling out to the blitz. With that in mind I’m going to pick who I thought was DPG last week in Quentin Grimes. I think he gets another sack today. 

Score

Without knowing anything about Kent State, I’m encouraged enough from last week to think the Sooners beat that ass today. The Crimson and Cream clean it up and tune it up, 52-10. 

Boomer to the Motherfuckin Sooner 

No comments:

Post a Comment