Saturday, September 10, 2022

Oklahoma Sooners vs. Kent State Golden Flashes

 Greetings, Sooner fans, on this absolutely beautiful Saturday in Oklahpma. It's week two for our 1-0 Sooners. The Sooners looked pretty sharp in game one of the Brent Venables era. Most notably, the defense was gang tackling. Dillon Gabriel was efficient in his first start. Today they welcome the 0-1 Kent State Golden Knights. The Sooners find themselves a 33 point favorite which seems pretty aggressive but, were I a betting man, would be tempted to take. 

Today I want to see the Sooners build off last week and stay healthy before hitting the road next week for a big one against Nebraska in Lincoln. 

OFFENSE

I didn't get to watch most of the UTEP game and had to settle for listening on the radio. It seems to me, though, that the Jeff Lebby offense was fast as advertised. They move the ball around pretty well and were able to get key weapons like Marvin Mims and Eric Gray involved early and often. Brayden Willis was a nice surprise for me also. He's a big target who moves well and he has the added advantage of being able to be positioned anywhere to exploit mismatches. Maybe he's making the leap.

Today the Sooners need to continue to establish their identity and then identify some home run hitters. Eric Gray looked great and Marcus Major looked powerful. I mentioned Willis and Mims but it'd be nice to get a few more players involved just to see what the offense has at its disposal. 

Today I'll take a chance on Theo Wease for my OPOG. I am thinking he's just getting back to a comfort level on the field after missing last year and he should be due to make a leap of his own. Maybe he busts one open today.

DEFENSE

The Sooners played A LOT of players on this side of the ball last week and I love it. Ted Roof and co. are trying to find out what they have and who's a gamer. I want to see more of the same today. I love the idea of having real depth on that side of the ball for the first time in a long time. Today's the perfect opportunity to continue to establish it. 

I'm going to ride the hot hand (or at least my impression of it) and go with Reggie Grimes for my DPOG. He seemed to be living in the backfield last week and should just build off that this week.

THE SCORE

The theme for today is build and Kent State is the perfect opponent for it. This one should be an intense cake walk. The Sooners continue to establish that toughness on D, find playmakers on offense and keep the injury sheet clean going into next week.

I like the Sooners bigly, 42-10.

Boomer to the motherfuckin Sooner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment