Saturday, September 24, 2022

K State

 The Sooners kick off this evening for their first conference game of the year. Last week was a most pleasing dismantling of a very bad Nebraska team. I was predictably nervous thinking that the coaching shake up would inspire the huskers, but after a first drive TD the Sooners starting playing what I think is referred to as “defense”. I’m vaguely remembering this concept. But whatever it is, it’s fun and I hope it continues. It’s amazing how just competent tackling and being in position makes an enormous difference. Seems so simple, but OU hasn’t done it in years. I hope it continues against a KState club that has been a thorn in the Sooners side the last few years. 

Offense

On paper, Dylan Gabriel’s season looks very good up to now. He has solid numbers, doesn’t turn the ball over and the Sooners are 3-0 in strong fashion. But to the eye, dude looks terribly inaccurate. He misses so many open receivers and the deep ball he was lauded for previously is, um, inconsistent. It’s all fine against bad teams, but the Sooners will lose against good competition if that continues. As such, I’m going to stay away from the passing game with today’s OPG and go with Marcus Major. Eric Gray had a huge game last week and this week I think Major steps up and has a great game. 

Defense

When OU hired Brent Venables the hope was that he could turn the D around. So far he has made good on that. As I mentioned before the competition hasn’t been great, but in recent years bad teams had huge games against OU consistently. Today I’m going with Reggie Grimes. Dude has been a beast and I think he gets another sack today. 

Score 

The Sooners are 13.5 point favorites today. Two TDs is a healthy margin, especially in conference play. But, it’s in Norman and I think OU heads to cover city. Sooners win 34-17. 

Boomer to the Motherfuckin Sooner 

No comments:

Post a Comment