Saturday, November 12, 2016

Baylor

The Sooners take on the Sinners from Baylor today. The luster of this one doesn't match recent years. That bodes well for the Sooners.

In the past, Art Briles would dial up the ol "5 yard out and up your ass until you stop it" routine. It's effectiveness was more due to Baylor's offense being lethal than defensive ineptitude (though at the time it didn't feel that way). This year it will be because the Red Carpet (hat tip) is rolled out.

Today it might be BD Mayfield's turn to embarrass. I know I'd love to see it. It's legitimate to ask how Baylor has a football team at this point anyway.

OFFENSE

I had lunch with Travis Frye, a gentleman and scholar, who tossed out a theory that Mayfield might not play today. Mr. Frye has a side project wherein he diagnoses others drug use, plastic surgery and now, apparently, unreported football injuries. He thinks Mayfield suffered a concussion late last week and couldn't have possibly passed protocol this week.

Of course the public has heard nothing on this but it could certainly be possible. Although I also think it's likely the protocol, if it was protocoled (?), was "passed". Wink Wink Nudge Nudge Nuff Said.

If true, and he doesn't play, all bets for victory are off. The dropoff from Baker to Austin Kendall is like Domantis Sabonis stepping into the Thunder lineup to replace Kevin Durant.

The big confirmed news today though is the return of Semaje Perine and Joe Mixon. I'm going with Samaje for my OPOG today on the basis of two things. One, the Baylor run defense sucks. Two, Semaje is rested and, I assume, ready to put on some pads and run over, around and through some fools. I think he has his best day of the year today. He'll go for about 175 and three scores. Keith's lock of the week.

DEFENSE

All I can say here is that hopefully the D has built up enough confidence against Kansas and Iowa State to lift them a peg above the suboptimal brand of football they demonstrated most of the season.

This one boils down to the Sooners stopping Baylor's rushing attack. Paradoxically I think it's the secondary that will be the key. If they can be halfway decent it should free up the front to focus on stopping the rushing attack. That secondary needs to be physical and I'm not sure they have it in them. Or, perhaps closer to the mark, they aren't coached that way.

Picking someone for DPOG on this side is nearly impossible since most are injured or new. I have no idea who's even playing at a given time. So, just because for some reason he's my favorite player on that side of the ball I'll pick Sir Neville Gallimore.

THE SCORE

I have no reason to believe the Sooners are 18 points better than the Bears like the current line indicates but I haven't watched much Baylor football either. On paper these teams look pretty even so I expect yet another blood pressure raising shootout. So double down on the Zestril and hang on. Sooners 56, Baylor 49.

Boomer to the motherfuckin Sooner



No comments:

Post a Comment