Thursday, November 3, 2016

Iowa State

The Sooners TCoB against Kansas last Saturday which was nice to see. The defense got some much needed positive results though I would hasten to add that they shouldn't go glad-slapping one another's buttocks just yet. Offensively, the Sooners kept on trucking. Dede Westbrook is apparently the real deal. He had about a million total yards. I like what he brings to the table. Can you believe his was the first punt return for a TD since Jalen Saunders in 2013?

From the unfortunate news department, wunderkind cum bona fide lunkhead Joe Mixon got a parking ticket and proceeded to rip it up in front of the enforcement officer. Honestly, it's a move we've all dreamed of pulling. But he's on a deserved short leash and won't be making the trip to Ames. I hate that the powers that be have to yank the chain so hard over a parking ticket but I don't think they have much choice given history.

OFFENSE

With Mixon and Perine out it's up to Abdul Adams to handle the load with the ground game. He's been serviceable and that's really all he needs to be to soften up Iowa State enough for the Mayfield-Westbrook show.

I would highly recommend the Sooners also utilize Dimitri Flowers. He is inexplicably underused and while I am not saying he is as good as Joe Mixon he does catch the ball well and would provide some continuity for an offense who has been utilizing two back sets all season.

I'm going with Adams as my OPOG since the Sooners have to take advantage of Iowa State's atrocious run defense and to set the table for the passing game.

DEFENSE

Before I forget I would like to congratulate Jordan Evans on his sweet INT for TD last week. That was fun to watch.

I am starting to get lulled into this, "Woe is us, look at our injuries piling up" mentality. This is dangerous. I'm getting set up for bad times down the road as the wins pile up and players start coming back. Plus I've been fully on board the "It's the coaching, stupid" bandwagon and I'm too invested to change course.

Question: Would you rather get let down against West Virginny, Baylor or OSU and get properly relegated to a bowl game you can win? Or beat those guys in shootouts, win the Big 12 and get roasted in a bowl game the Sooners have no business being invited to in the first place? My pride says win the Big 12 but my sour memories aren't excited about playing someone like A&M or Lousiville. Plenty of time to sort through these emotions I suppose.

First things first. Hold Iowa State to their season average of 26ish points.

THE GAME

The Sooners will do yeomen's work on offense. The ground game plays well despite not having Perine or Mixon and Baker, Dede and Andrews take care of the rest. The D almost holds Iowa State below their scoring average. Sooners roll 42-28.

Boomer to the motherfuckin Sooner

No comments:

Post a Comment