Saturday, October 30, 2010

No Longer on Suicide Watch, Ready for Colorado

I don't have what it takes to revisit what happened in Columbia last week. Two reasons for this. First, I drank myself to bolivian and details are mercifully sketchy. Two, I don't watch game tape of losses. Let's just forget it and move on to what might be the most poorly attended home game in the Bob Stoops era (It's trick-or-treat night and the game won't be over until midnight). I'm hoping that at the very least some sluttily dressed co-eds decide to show for some pregame revelry.

I don't care if there are only 10 people there though, the Sooners better have a fire lit under their collective asses. Redemption is the only cure for yet another mistake-riddled offensive effort and an adjustmentless (pretty sure I just made this up) defensive gameplan on national television. Why do we use the national stage to play like assholes (Big 12 Championship games excepted)?

I'm scared nonetheless. Colorado is like a cornered and wounded dog. Perhaps more lapdog than Pit Bull but still. You never know what a team with a coach on the hotseat and nothing to lose is capable of. The good news is, of course, the game is in Norman. Also, Coach Dan Hawkins's son Cody is at QB. He sucks (even if he led the Buffs to victory in Boulder a few years back). These are advantages that cannot be overstated.

The Picks

Offense

I don't necessarily like a Lonnie pick here but I'm going to do it anyway. He needs to get back on track and fast. As we said at the beginning of the season, he's the key to the whole thing. Lots of things can happen around the country and the Sooners need a Lonnie that's right in the head the rest of the way. If I had to pick somewhere other than Lonnie I'd say Roy Finch only because I'm fully plugged in to that hype machine.

Defense

I was going to say I hope it's someone from the secondary but I think it's more important for someone from the line to, you know, maybe touch the quarterback this week. I'll say Jeremy Beal then because he's the only real choice here. He needs to set the tone and be the leader of that unit.

The Score

I'm just not real confident about this one. Still, I don't see how Colorado can hold our offense down at home (of course I didn't think we could shit ourselves to the extent we did last week either). Who knows what kind of defensive effort there will be. These guys should be so much better than the 80th ranked defense in the country. It makes no sense to me. Still, that's what they are. I imagine the coaching staff hung out in the shoulder pads of that whole group this week though and maybe they'll be eager to prove they aren't terrible. Of course I'm the biggest homer ever so I'm assuming the best in all cases.


OU 35 Colorado 17

No comments:

Post a Comment