Thursday, October 14, 2010

Schedule Glance

Before I get too worked up for this ISU game on Saturday, I thought I'd do a brief (see: half-assed) look ahead at what we have left on the schedule and try to identify which games I think will be our toughest.

We start the second half of the schedule against ISU at home. I think we may come out a tad rusty but I think we have enough to beat these guys even with a little rust. They've shown they can score some points which doesn't necessarily bode well in light of our wont to give up points, but I'm really hoping that our defense starts to solidify this week and we can win one where the fan base's collective assholes might be relaxed enough to let out a popcorn fart in the fourth quarter. I think that Colorado and Tech are very winnable seeing as they are at home (and they aren't that good). Further, I think we'll win down in A&M this year as well. Traditionally a tough place to get a win, Kyle Field has not been the tough out it used to be in recent years.

The stumbling blocks I see are Mizzou first and foremost. For whatever reason these guys act like beating us is the end goal for every football team at any level. Plus, we've had struggles winning at their place in the past (read: Chris Chester fake field goal TD catch) when the disparity in talent was greater than it is now. Plus, they've been left with a pretty shitty taste in their mouth as we've dismantled them at our place and in the Big 12 game when Chase "fatty" Daniels led the best Mizzou team in decades against us. We haven't even beaten ISU yet and this one scares me. Doomsday McGoo is already fully geared for this one.

I think that the Baylor and OSU games are also scary. Baylor is quite a bit better than they usually are and possess precisely the type of QB we generally can't stop. Not looking forward to that one at all from a game standpoint. However, coming in from the good mojo network, I recently learned I'll be sitting down with my co-author (presumably over many beers) to watch this one together. That alone has me anticipating this game more than any other at this point. Finally, OSU is always tough, they always are harder to play us than we are them, it's at their place, they have some talent etc. etc. I never feel great about that game, but if they remain unbeaten until we play them (unlikely) it will be on in Stoolwater and we will have to weather a serious storm.

All in all, we've got a pretty tough road ahead despite everyone in the media assuming we're cake walking to the Big 12 game. It's not an easy road by any stretch and 4 of the 7 are on the road where we haven't been great lately. I hope the young guys are figuring it out and we get the weak points buffed out in anticipation of the stretch run. People are talking about us having played the toughest schedule in country of the remaining unbeaten teams up to now, I think it's a fair argument. In that vein, I can only imagine the clamoring that is already starting about how we're getting screwed and should be ranked higher etc. Bottom line, is we've got a long way to go and so does everyone else. We are (at least) three very tough games and four games that aren't easy away from even getting a shot at the conference title. Let's whip ISU this weekend and then get ready for a tough trip to Columbia.

More about ISU before the game this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment