Friday, October 1, 2010

Pre-texas Thoughts

I'm trying to come up with this week's Players of the Game. In the biggest games it stands to reason a team's best players should prove it. This got me to wondering, "Who is the best player on this Sooner Defense?"

For the Sooner Offense, it's a debate between two players. DeMarco or Ryan Broyles. DeMarco because he can line up anywhere, be a legit big-target receiver or, just as easily, he can put his hat down and power for 3 or 4 yards when you need it. He is the bell-cow of the offense and make no mistake. Broyles is by far the most electric home-run threat. I don't think many people could get a hand on him in flag football. His moves are filthy in a Two Girls, One Cup kind of way. Both contribute on special teams also. So, taking the easy way out, I'll say DeMarco is the MVP and Broyles is the best player.

It's impossible to identify the Alpha Male on Defense. Through 4 games it's tough to identify the best player in each unit (Line, Linebacker and Secondary).  In the ultimate team sport this is probably a good thing. On defense in particular this could be a great thing but only if the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. I'm not sure that's what we have here.

Let's break it down by group:

Defensive Line
Probably the easiest group to dissect. Jeremy Beal was on the short list for 2010 MF'er and he's showing that the consideration was well deserved. But at any given time guys like Stacy McGee and David King have really stepped up. McGee's continual improvement is going to be critical the rest of the way. Real talk.

Linebackers
Since Ronnell has been moved to DE and hasn't been on the field much anyways this is a two-man race twixt Tom Wort and Travis "Old Steady" Lewis. And in my mind I would say Tom Wort is the guy who jumps out on tape. But, I'm a mouth-breathing clod with a high BAC (*See chart below) when I'm watching the games so it was easy for me to overlook Old Steady. Quietly he's leading the team in tackles and has an INT to boot. Stats aren't everything but it certainly indicates Old Steady is doing his job, "In a great way" as Coach Stoops would say.

Secondary
This group is the biggest clusterfuck but in a good way. Obviously Quinton M.F. Carter has been doing his thing. But Tony Jefferson is a badass. Navin's right that he is on the 2011 M.F. watchlist. And I'll tell you who else is coming on is that Jonathan Nelson. Against Utah State he really tried to make his case to become 2010's Gasrag McGee. But since he's become a bit of a force. Jamell Fleming is the guy teams really like to pick on but he has 6 pass break ups and for the most part is playing pretty well. With a gun to my head I'd say Jefferson (Reminder: True Frosh) is the best but I'd certainly listen to arguments.

I think I know who I'll take for Defensive POG but I'll reveal that later.

*I looked up this chart and got a real good laugh. I'd say I watch most games in the .11 to .20 range.

.11 to .20 Behaviors

  • Over-expression
  • Emotional swings
  • Angriness or sadness
  • Boisterousness
  • SuperHuman Feeling
  • Decreased Libido
.11 to .20 Impairments

  • Reflexes
  • Reaction time
  • Gross motor control
  • Staggering
  • Slurred speech
Sounds about right save the libido part.

No comments:

Post a Comment