Friday, September 7, 2012

OU vs Florida A&M Preview

Florida A&M is getting a check made out to them for $650,000.00 in exchange for satisfying the blood-thirst of the Sooner faithful (or for filling a slot on the schedule). Everyone knows this. But in their locker room you can bet their coach is giving his best Any Given Sunday speech and his team will be fired up to play. The Sooners can sleepwalk their way to victory but can they match or exceed Florida A&M's enthusiasm?

Two factors should inspire the Sooners to get jacked and deliver the beat-down all God and Man (including everyone on the Florida A&M sidelines) expect.

First, it's the home opener (oh, you already knew that?). If running out of the tunnel for the first time in 10 months doesn't get these guys ready to knock someone's dick in the dirt I don't know what will. I want to see some pep, attitude, vim, vigor, swagger, hustle, umpto etc. Excellent teams bring it no matter who they play.

Sooner fans better bring it also. Again, it's the home opener. There are 6 home games a year. Everyone will have all day to tailgate and the weather will be perfect. I hope my gut is wrong about the student section being half empty at kickoff.

Second, last week proved hype and headlines don't make tackles or score touchdowns.There are many phases of the game the Sooners can "execute" better as Bobby would say. There is zero excuse for not doing so on Saturday. This should be a glorified practice except everyone can play through the whistle. Everyone should have ample opportunity to earn their accolades. Anyone who doesn't needs to take a hard look at themselves (The eye of Sauron is focused on the O-Line).

OFFENSE

I'd like to see Josh Heupel get Landry into the "flow" of the game by letting him fire some passes that require less finesse than a swing pass. Anyone who has ever thrown a ball knows you make it harder on yourself when you try to guide it. Let Lonnie stretch his wing out a bit, step into a throw and let the receivers run to it. Worst case it's 3rd and long like usual. Best case you pick yards up in chunks. Of course this depends heavily on the O-Lines interest/ability in not pulling this, "Ole' bullshit!" on defenders.

I'd also like to see more Roy Finch than Belldozer. I apologize in advance for beating this dying horse but until I see Finch perform terribly I'm going to continue to do it. There's something more than poor pass blocking keeping him off the field and it sucks for everyone.

As for the Belldozer, the Sooners simply should never find themselves in need of his services in this one. Let's work on other things in the red zone. You know, in case it could be useful later. Let's see if Landry can pick up a 3rd and 2 on his own. Again, you know, just in case. The Belldozer Package is the only thing the offense does reliably well the last 8ish games. There is room to improve execution elsewhere.

For my Offensive Player of the Game I'm going with the flavor of the day, DD Williams. I'd like to go on record and say how much I like everything about the name DD. But I also want to see more of this scholars game. In the parlance of today's youth, I'm "intrigued" by his skillset.

DEFENSE

Florida A&M will be without the services of their best Wide Receiver. I don't know what best means exactly and it doesn't matter anyhow. Demontre or Aaron Colvin would have shut him down. So let's spend some time shoring up the middle of the football field.

I'm going with David King as my Defensive POG. This should be a nice opportunity for him to settle into his 3-Technique and unleash holy hell.

The Score

I'm not sure I want to live in an America where the Sooners don't score 63 in this one. I'm more pessimistic about this team than any other of the Bob Stoops era but there is no other reasonable expectation.

OU 63 Florida A&M 0

Crack them PBR Tallboys and Boomer to the Motherfuckin Sooner

1 comment:

  1. I love this guy. Lonnie will have a good game and there will much less bumbling from the o-line. Look for big gains in the running game and forced turnovers from the defense.

    ReplyDelete