Saturday, September 1, 2012

OU - UTEP





It's time to get this party started.

There was this one time when the Sooners started the season on the road. They featured a much ballyhooed Quarterback who should have entered the draft the previous spring but decided to come back for his Senior season. The Sooners played an opponent of some quality but the game should not have been close. The QB went down to a season-ending injury, an inexperienced QB replaced him, the Sooners lost the game.

Let's not have that happen again.

There are only two things interesting to me about the UTEP Miners. They are coached by Mike Price. Second, the Red State portion of the Sooner fanbase (and there are many) traveling down for this one are concerned about getting caught up in some Mexican borderland violence. Nothing whatsoever on the football field for the UTEP football team intrigues me enough to even look at their roster.

I am keenly interested in the Sooner storylines. Those stories being the return of Mike Stoops, his defense, the Wide Receivers, the return of Dom Whaley, the Offensive Line and the play calling.

I'm not expecting perfection or wholesale changes to the D. But I do expect to see some brahs flying around like their hair is on fire. I want to see the promising beginning of something that, when it is firing on all cylinders, will put fear in opponents.

Offensively, it all starts up front. The O-Line has to give Lonnie time to find his new receivers. Josh Heupel needs to be clever enough to get the running game going and open everything up. It's a simple game really.

Offense

I'm going with Dom Whaley here. This is a pick from the heart. His injury last year was a crushing blow not only for the team but for a great story. Today he can get it going again. Rumor has it he looks like his old self. Why does it look like I have a plantain in my trousers?

Defense

How can I go with anyone other than Tony Motherfuckin Jefferson? He's got a new role where he's free to run roughshod. I look forward to it. Hopefully he can more than justify his selection as the first two time recipient of the MFer Award.

The Score

If this game looks anything like Taking Care of Business (dba TCB) I'll be thrilled. Of course I can't imagine anything else. I'm actually feeling pretty good about utter dominance.

OU 31 UTEP 10

Boomer to the Motherfuckin Sooner

UPDATE:

I searched the roster high and low earlier this week because I wanted to make an award for Most Likely to be Suspended for the Season Opener. I did not make a selection because I figured all the non- judeo christian youth had already been taken off the roster. But lo and behold the tradition continues with Geneo Grissom getting suspended. Good Christ it's as predictable as taxes.





No comments:

Post a Comment