Saturday, September 22, 2018

Army

Apologies if this is even shittier than usual (hard to imagine, I know), but I'm doing this on my ancient phone. Let's wrap up last week quickly. The Sooners D got the Dennis Green treatment in that they are who I thought they were. A poor tackling unit that excels at letting opponents convert 3rd downs. But, whilst ugly, it was a win which is more than can be said for the last ISU game.

Army comes to Norman today for a nice little paycheck. I'm a bit of a pushover for Army for some reason. Their steadfast refusal to update their offense and the Army Navy game is always kind of cool, in a Harlem Globetrotters exhibition kind of way. I think they hang with teams better than they should because of that antique offense which they run with expert aplomb. But the talent disparity generally catches up with them eventually.

Offense

Those that thought Rod Anderson wouldn't be missed I think have to have some doubts about that now. The running game was certainly adequate but didn't appear to be something OU can lean on now. Hopefully that will evolve as the season progresses. I'm finally giving in this week and picking Kyler Murray. I've spent the first three week trying to outsmart myself, today I give in and go with Murray who has been really great (I enjoyed the infographic comparing him to Mayfield at this point last year, eerily similar).

Defense

Man, how can I find a new way to implement the kiss of death this week. Maybe I should pick Mike Stoops and then maybe he'll have been fired prior to kick off. I truthfully don't know and the options are extremely appetizing. I'm just picking Kenneth Murray today. It feels like the kind of opponent where a LB can really pad his stats.

Score

I imagine Army will put together a couple of decent drives in this one, maybe even early. Their lack of forward passing ability though really plays to OU's defensive "strengths". I think the Sooners come
out a little sluggish but get rolling and are able to rest some guys later. Sooners win it 49-14.

Boomer to the Motherfuckin Sooner

No comments:

Post a Comment