Friday, November 23, 2018

Oklahoma Sooner versus West Virginny

I saw a headline, the day after the LA Rams beat the Kansas City Cheifs 54-51, asking if the world had just witnessed the future of football. The fact the question is being asked is one of the few glimmers of hope remaining for this Oklahoma football team. However, OU fans have been living this supposed "future of football" for three seasons now and I can tell you, we'd love to see some defense. The future of football, devoid of defense, is by turns fun, frustrating, predictable and inexplicable.

Tonight the present and future, as seen through the lens of the Big 12, will be on full display. The two best quarterbacks in the league, the two best offenses in the league, the two best offensive play callers in the league and two below average defenses. The couches will burn one way or another in Morgantown tonight.

OFFENSE

The only question for the Sooners is how best to overcome a lack of depth at running back or, more pointedly, what in the world could they do if Kennedy Brooks goes down. There seem to be no assurances that TJ Pledger is available or Trey Sermon.

Obviously, Kyler Murray can pick up the slack. But I think his effectiveness depends on Brooks being available. Otherwise it's liable to be a highlight reel of Murray running for his life for 60 minutes.

I'm going to go against the grain and pick Mr. Brooks over Kyler for my OPOG. I hope it's not a jinx. He needs to stay healthy, be productive and give the rest of the offense the room it needs to operate.

DEFENSE

It seems like every season the defense plays over its head at least once. I suppose one could argue that the Sooners blew their wad against K-State or TCU. I'm not buying it. They have, at most, four more opportunities to show something this season. But if they don't do it today they'll be down to one opportunity and that will be in some sub-tier bowl.  I don't want to sound like an ungrateful asshole but that might be the mercy killing this group deserves.

But back to today. Will Grier is liable to pick this group apart early and often. OU's best shot is obviously getting the Mountaineers to punt. I just heard on TV that the Kansas Jayhawks defense has 15 interceptions this season. The Sooners have forced 8 total turnovers. Anyone who says it's just impossible to defend dynamic offenses in the Big 12 is full of shit. The Sooners are hard baked at this point and getting turnovers seems to be a pipe dream.

I'll pick Parnell Motley for my DPOG today. Even though I just said the Sooners have a hard time forcing turnovers and even though Parnell Motley has inexplicably been Gasrag McGee this year, he is the guy who seems to come up big when it matters most.

THE SCORE

OU has to be composed from the opening kickoff. Kyler Murray cannot be jittery like he was against Texas Tech. OU cannot get down by more than 10 and hope to have enough defense to catch back up and pull ahead.

I'm certainly not confident. This game could be over in the first quarter. But as I slip on my crimson colored glasses I hold out hope for an outlier defensive performance.

I have to take the Sooners so.. Sooners 56, West Virginny 49

Boomer to the motherfuckin Sooner


No comments:

Post a Comment