Friday, November 23, 2018

West Virginia

This Sooners team is about as disheartening as a one-loss team can be at this stage of the season. They embarrassingly lived up to my prediction last week in giving up 40 points to a putrid Kansas team at home. I saw a stat this past week that they are the first team since the AP poll was started (some time in the 30s) to give up 40 points in 3 consecutive weeks and win all 3 games. To summarize, this is unsustainable. WVU scores in buckets vs anyone, let alone this crepe-paper panty-rag that OU calls a defense. Would anyone be surprised if this game is 64-63 at the end? The only question is, who wins?

OU miraculously still has everything in front of them, however they do need help. Alas it will all be moot if they shit the bed in Morgantown, which is so plausible that I'm almost glad I will be on a plane and missing it.

Offense

I tried to go "next level" last week with a Lee Morris pick. And while I think the running game will be paramount to the Sooners' success today, I still think the offense will put up huge numbers in the pass game. I hope that they play as close to a ball-control offense as they possibly can in this system, otherwise it just means more time for the defense to be embarrassed. But, with the now dearth of RB's, I think a lot of the running will fall on the shoulders of Kyler Murray. Couple that with the passing numbers, and I'm staying squarely inside the box this week and picking Murray for my OPG.

Defense

Our buddy and friend of the Steamroller, Travis Frye texted us last week and declared this the worst defense since we've been rooting for OU (read: damn near 20 years), and I really can't argue with him. I would say that statement is both accurate and nearly unbelievable given the number of shitty defenses over the years. I really don't have a good pick as their are none, but for the sake of doing it I'll say Amani Bedsore, err Bledsoe.

Score

I opened with a half joking 64-63 final, I'll reel that in slightly. Truthfully, I don't think OU will win this game. After last week's loss this will be, by a good measure, WVU's biggest game of the season, it's in their house and their biggest strength matches up with OU's biggest weakness. But, I will hop aboard the optimism train and pick OU today, 55-52.

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner

No comments:

Post a Comment