Saturday, October 1, 2011

(hairy) Ball State

Good, nee GREAT title. So the Fighting Somethings (probably) of Ball State come into Norman tonight to defender the honor of The (insert mid-major conference here). I personally think that OU is going to handle this one. In fact, you might say I think we'll come out with a mind to do a little Ball busting. Even though they may have inspirations of being Cinderella tonight, I don't think they're going to enjoy the Ball. However, their offense isn't terrible and so our defense will really need to be on the Ball. Personally, I hope they everyone of them runs out like they just snorted an eight Ball. It won't hurt that Still and Broyles will (probably) be on the field and feeling well together for the first time all season, just to get the Ball rolling. Also, I think Dom Whaley is going to go out today and straight Ball. In short, I look for OU to have a Ball in this one.

Wow, I simultaneously embarrassed and impressed myself with that montage (by the way, what is the over/under on Berry Tramel making a similar pun, only in seriousness, at some point in regard to this game?). The fellows from Ball State may have fallen into a bad week to come to Norman. Allegedly everyone is pretty pissed at how they played last week on our defense and my guess is they'll look to make a statement and get the confidence going again a bit in anticipation of next Saturday's showdown.

Keith made some nice points in his mid-week bullets. However, he buffed out the scratches a bit for my taste. Let's be honest, Landry has looked terrible all year. Yeah, he has put up gaudy numbers but I can't think of one time where a drive looked great because he made excellent throws. He constantly over and under throws players, he makes at least 3 or 4 plays a game that make you say out loud the words "What the FUCK was he doing?", and he rarely (if ever) seems to go through a progression. Don't believe me? Watch him and where he is looking on pass plays, he almost never goes to a second or third option. Mark my words, if/when we lose this season it won't be in spite of him.

Second, the defense looked bad. What the fuck is all of this three man rush shit? More importantly, where are the alternatives when it doesn't work. The first two drives against Mizzou, we had three down linemen generate zero pressure on their QB. It was that or bring 8. Can we get some 4 or 5 man rushes on occasion? However, I'm not nearly as worried about the defensive situation as I am with Lonnie. I think (hope) last week was an aberration and a wake-up call for the D. I can see how they might have been patting their backs a little after the effort at FSU and let up some. Hopefully they learned that it doesn't work that way and it didn't cost us a loss last week.

Finally, it's probably deserving of at least a mention on here that Habern is out for several weeks. The O-line has been a bit of a patchwork job already thanks to injuries. We are getting some guys back, as Jarvis Jones looks to return to more regular duty this week. But, losing our center and arguably our best lineman is tough. We will definitely miss him, but hopefully Ikard can fill in adequately. Watch for some bobbled snaps in the gun possibly today. Hopefully not though.

OK, enough pessimism. That probably should've been it's own column last week but I never got it done. Anyway, I don't know a ton about Ball State. I know the basic stuff that's been in the papers (None of the Homework!). They evidently have a decent offense, and one that has been perfect in the red-zone. I don't think they turn it over much, maybe even no picks by their QB yet (what that must be like). But, apart from an Indiana team... er, scratch that, they've played no one.  I think we'll, handle them pretty well today on both sides of the Ball (keep 'em coming). Zing!

Offense

Well, I'll save the suspense of telling you who I'm not (ever) going to pick. Instead, let's talk about who I think it will be. I know I've not mixed up the players of the game too much this season, but nonetheless I'm going with my gut again. I think it's going to be Dom Whaley. I just love that guy and, let's be real, Brennan Clay is a good player but he shouldn't be starting or taking carries away from this guy. Whaley is great in all aspects of running the ball. I haven't paid much attention to his blocking, but I don't remember him getting beat specifically, at least not consistently and he seems to catch the ball pretty well although that sample size is pretty small. Let's start to feature him I say. Anyway, I think he breaks 100 this week for the first time and scores twice.

Defense

Somebody is going to have to step up and impress this week. I know Old Steady will be out there being, well, steady. He's vocal and he'll have the boys fired up. Also, I think we're due for a Tony Motherfuckin' Jefferson break out game. He's been solid but quiet so far this year. Don't make us regret the Motherfuckin' award. I'm keeping with my repeats theme for defense today and going with Frank Alexander. I don't think it's even a close race as to who has been our defensive MVP thus far and overall most improved player. He's been an absolute beast, and that Mizzou game last week fucking impressive. I think big Frank gets to the QB at least once and continues to be the disruptive force he's been all year.

Overall, I think we'll handle these guys. They'll no doubt score a bit, but I don't think they really threaten us at all in this one. I think the Defense come out fired up, and I think the offense clicks well. I hope Ikard gets enough reps. under center this week to be comfortable going into next week. I think we score early, I think we score often, and I don't think they do too much at all. Drew Allen gets some completions this week and Roy Finch gets plenty of touches as the Sooners win going away 48-14.

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner!

No comments:

Post a Comment