Saturday, October 23, 2021

Kansas

Going in to last Saturday I felt there was little question that Caleb Williams would be starting. It was the worst kept secret in Norman when Lincoln Riley attempted something akin to a poker face when he decided not to announce his starter. But after the polarized performances in the Red River, how could anyone in their right mind not continue with Williams? Still, I had some fear (as I always do) that when the pressure and time to think that comes with knowing you will be "the guy" set in on CW that he might not look the part as he did when expectations were zero. Suffice to say, that fear was quelled in the most delightful way with a dominant performance where TD passes (four) nearly matched the number of incompletions (five). I was discussing with a friend last night, and both of us were marveling at how much better Williams decision making is with so much less time in the system. Dude is unbelievable. It's nice to have KU now as a less nerve-wracking game to hopefully clean up the defense going into the rest of the season.

Offense

I was hesitant to pick CW last week. Partly because of what I mentioned earlier, but also because I'm a moron and was afraid of a jinx. I'm not going to be "smart" this week and think too much. It's Williams for me today. I think he goes inside, outside, over and around an overmatched KU squad. It should be a lot of fun.

Defense

It's a real accomplishment that what the defense did last week could be framed as an improvement. Volumes are spoken by the fact that a couple of three and outs and a fourth down stop qualify as a successful outing by a team that gave up 31 points to a decidedly mediocre TCU team. But, I'll take victories where they come. Let's all hope that this is a stepping stone and KU presents another one. If the defense can continue to improve (and it will have to in order to reach the playoff) this team could be very fun before it's over. DPG? I don't really know honestly. I'll guess Perrion Winfrey for no particular reason. 

Score

The line is 38.5 for the Sooners today. That's a shitload of points and I have to think if Rattler were starting that's at least 10 points lower. I like the Sooners big, but KU to cover. OU wins it 45-7 on a day that the defense looks just a little better than last week. Let's keep it rolling. 

Boomer to the Motherfuckin' Sooner

No comments:

Post a Comment